• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where was the A-level thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where was the A-level thread

with the daily mail outrage over standards.

+ pictures of young students of course ?

Try page 2.

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...cs-thread.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ng-easier.html

Comment

When my A-level results came out, most of us just looked at the results, either paled and started phoning UCAS, or smiled, said "thought so", and got pissed at the nearest pub.

What's all this jumping up and down for (except to jiggle a bit ).
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Only 3 pages?

In the old days, rants against A-levels lasted at least 6.

Classic case of dumbing down :-)

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
            Only 3 pages?

In the old days, rants against A-levels lasted at least 6.
            It's because that's what we've been taught to do: nothing.

It used to be an outrage, now we just expect it. Also, we know complaining doesn't work, so what's the point?

What I don't understand is why they continue to pretend they're not buggering about with the system - it just does not make sense. We know school leavers are innumerate, barely literate and ignorant so why not just give all school leavers 15 A* A levels and be done with it? The whole exam process is a waste of time and taxpayer's money.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

What's wrong with awarding the top 0-0.5% of students A*'s, 0.5-1% A's, 1-10% B's, 10-30% C's and the remainder...whatever...not important?

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                It's because that's what we've been taught to do: nothing.

It used to be an outrage, now we just expect it. Also, we know complaining doesn't work, so what's the point?

What I don't understand is why they continue to pretend they're not buggering about with the system - it just does not make sense. We know school leavers are innumerate, barely literate and ignorant so why not just give all school leavers 15 A* A levels and be done with it? The whole exam process is a waste of time and taxpayer's money.
                I sort of have knowledge of this stuff...brother lectures in maths at uni (yes, he was the one with brains in the family - so I went into IT!).

He moans constantly about having to teach people more and more A'level stuff before cracking on with degree level stuff, and that it seems to be getting worse. Ok this is a guy who would moan that clouds are the wrong shape...but it does rather tie in with the "standards dropping while pass rates go up" story so maybe he's got a point?
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

So it is depressing – even more so because it is unsurprising - to see that the UK has been found to have fallen behind other countries in its levels of educational achievement. The new study, compiled by the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA-an arm of the OECD), looked at the educational attainment among 15 year olds in 57 countries.

Since 2000, the UK cohort was found to have fallen from 8th to 24th in maths; from 7th to 17th in reading; and in science, an area in which the UK as a whole excels, they fell from 4th to 14th. Taken as a whole the findings constitute - as a reporter on the Today programme put it this morning - a discernable slip for the UK from a premier league of industrialised countries to a first division.
                  Last edited by dinker; 21 August 2009, 17:00.

Comment

Working...
                  X