• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where have you stashed your cash?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where have you stashed your cash?

I'm surprised this isn't a bigger topic of conversation on here. Are you lot not concerned about inflation and currency devaluation ripping into savings?

Poll coming...
    Aint got none to speak of
    14.47%
    Property / other tangible assets
    9.21%
    Stocks/Shares/Bonds
    15.79%
    Foreign currency
    3.95%
    Various – speculating and spreading
    1.32%
    Bank
    26.32%
    Foreign investment
    5.26%
    Just panicking and without a plan at the moment
    9.21%
    Not telling
    6.58%
    Under Andy’s bed
    7.89%
    Last edited by TimberWolf; 28 September 2009, 16:29.

When I realised that sterling was going to be worthless, I donated it all to the Labour party in exchange for a title.

HTH

Lord Prawn of Penhill

Comment

I have done various things in the past, but I really don't know what to do with last/this years divs, also money is still in Sterling. Not sure what to do

So far I have decided not to buy property until next year earliest.
      Two: not to move out of sterling until it recovers.

Any suggestions what to do?
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I aint got nufink guvnor.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

The best investment you can get at the moment is...paying off your mortgage.
          3.5-4%pa return - after tax!

Every £100 additional repayment you make saves you £3.50-£4.00 from your after tax earnings. That's the same as an investment paying you 5% pre-tax (assuming a 20% tax rate). The difference is the 3.5-4% is a guaranteed return every year for the remaining term of your mortgage. You can't get much better than that in this financial climate.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
            Any suggestions what to do?
            Panic!

Comment

I got shot of all my sterling into a new house. The rest is in ISAs + funds,

Comment

What about the Papillon option? <cough>
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I am divorced so have no cash.

Comment

Thinking of switching ISA's from shares to something more solid...they're so in for a crash - everyone but the lovely city boys can see the real economy is up the spout...we can't live on spiv share speculation and house prices forever...can we??

Trouble thereafter is gold looks overpriced atm...

Comment

Working...
                    X