• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freeview HD to debut in December

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeview HD to debut in December

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/06...ew_hd_arrival/

But you'll have to move oop North initially and buy new hardware, as the current stuff being sold in the shops even today has been superseded.

Don't forget to retune your Freeview boxes after lunchtime today.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    But you'll have to move oop North initially and buy new hardware, as the current stuff being sold in the shops even today has been superseded.
    Another bloody government sponsored con.
    They have spent the last few years encouraging everybody to buy new digital equipment as required. Then announce that to get the new HD channels you will have to buy it all over again.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Cash for clunkers (set top boxes).

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
        Another bloody government sponsored con.
        They have spent the last few years encouraging everybody to buy new digital equipment as required. Then announce that to get the new HD channels you will have to buy it all over again.
        VHS-DVD-BluRay - it's no different. If you want progress, you have to pay...

Is there any chance Freeview boxes could get a firmware update to decode MPEG-4 or is it all on dedicated chips?
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          VHS-DVD-BluRay - it's no different. If you want progress, you have to pay...

Is there any chance Freeview boxes could get a firmware update to decode MPEG-4 or is it all on dedicated chips?
          I dont mind when it is new tech, but this stinks.
          The public have been encouraged to go digital long before it was necessary. The manufacturers and Government have known for some time what the protocols would be, but there has been no information to tell the public which equipment would be compatable.
          THIS STINKS.

I believe most of this is hard wired rather than a software fix, otherwise it would be OK.

If the UK is the only place using these protocols we are going to get shafted on kit price again.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

The poor public. That £15 freeview box from Tesco will only have provided them with loads of extra channels for a couple of years. Hardly a vast expense, especially when you don't have to use FreeviewHD... you don't need it and only a selection of channels will be offered in HD anyway.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              The poor public. That £15 freeview box from Tesco will only have provided them with loads of extra channels for a couple of years. Hardly a vast expense, especially when you don't have to use FreeviewHD... you don't need it and only a selection of channels will be offered in HD anyway.
              To some people that 15 quid is a lot of money.
              What about the thousands who bought HD tvs with built in freeview which were marketed on the basis that you would not need an extra box.
              Why were such items marketed when the manufacturers knew they would be obsolete so quickly?

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

The lifetime of the cheap boxes is just over that required by the sale of goods act. I'm on my second box now and it looks like that one is playing up.

I'm thinking of getting one of those freesat boxes now.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Well they won't have HD TVs then will they?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

What about the thousands who bought HD tvs with built in freeview which were marketed on the basis that you would not need an extra box.
                    Why were such items marketed when the manufacturers knew they would be obsolete so quickly?
                    They all knew (if they'd done even the tiniest bit of research) that Freeview was not HD and that you need an HD source to get those TVs to show HD pictures.

They are not obsolete, Freeview isn't being switched off before the end of those TVs lifetimes (5-10 years).
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X