• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maze

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maze

New boy, slightly squiffy (well, not slightly), but just had an evening living the contractors life down Mayfair with a few cocktails and a meal at Maze. Never done a Michelin star before, and quite frankly after this evening, can't see the fuss. Bland has a new definition. Has Gordon Ramsey lost the plot, or can any old cafe get a Michelin star these days?

Which swanky restaurant would you recommend on next invoice day?

Applebee's
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

-I fancy the Fat Duck, if only to try the snail porridge just once.
      -I always enjoy Claridge's
      -Tried Pied A Terre or the Hibiscus?

Comment

Originally posted by tenpin View Post

Which swinky restaurant would you recommend on next invoice day?
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4570901.stm
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I just brekfasted at our local branch of Chapters. The Sausage Sandwich on white with brown sauce was 'to die for'. No Michelin stars but Billy 'no stars' was serving. His command of the english language is improving too. dahling you simply must try it!

Comment

Ah restaurants....

For about 5 years whilst I was single-ish, every week I'd go out with some mates or the current gf and do a nice bar, top restaurant then a club, so I've been to quite a few of the "decent" places in London. I got really bored with it in the end - believe me there's only so much Laurent Perrier Rose you can drink. I used to hang out pretty much all the time at the upstairs bar in Mezzo's, the Atlantic Bar and Titanic. I met the missus for the first time in Titanic.

It started out around 50\50 - half the time it would be a so-so experience and half the time it would be very good. After a while it went down to about 90\10 - most of the time I was just bored. I was one of those sad people that used to hunt down new restaurant openings and try to beat the reviewers to eat there. I ate at the original Petrus as soon as it opened, Foliage, L'Oranger, Mash, Coast, The Oak Room, Quags, CdP - so many I can't remember them all.

The best meal I ever ate was at the old Chez Nico on Park Lane which is now closed. It was composed pretty much entirely of black truffles. Also I remember one evening when I'd been out with a couple of chums at Le Gavroche and told my brother what the bill was he said that he'd just bought a car for less than that....At Isola in Knightsbridge two of us spent £1000 on pre-war Armagnac. At The Chop House (MpW, now closed) we sent out for a bottle of Chateau D'Yquem as they had it on the wine list but not in the cellar. Mad, mad, mad.

It all got a bit American Psycho in the end. I didn't really ever leave that existence and I was drinking far too much than was good for me. It was never about the money or how much I was chucking away - my choice and to bemoan it is bad form.

That was around 10 years ago. These days I get more pleasure from a proper steak and a pint of real ale. Age & contentment have definitely got something to do with that but also I've definitely lived the life and to be honest you can keep it. It's all pretence. So saying that I'm off to Paris for a gastronomic weekend next week and I've already booked my tables.....old habits die hard.

Didn't mean to wander, but the point of all this was to get to my favourite restaurant; Le Caprice. It's a restaurant for people that eat at restaurants all the time. If you don't you'll probably wonder what all the fuss was about, but it's pretty much perfect.

Just my 2p worth, didn't mean to dash out a life story.

Andy
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

christ, did you just type that lot out? you should be on the back page of the Sunday Times joshing with Micheal Winner

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
                christ, did you just type that lot out? you should be on the back page of the Sunday Times joshing with Micheal Winner
                To be honest I've been on the next table to him a couple of times and he eats with his mouth open.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  he eats with his mouth open.
                  Yuk - a habit I despise

Comment

Originally posted by tenpin View Post
                    New boy, slightly squiffy (well, not slightly), but just had an evening living the contractors life down Mayfair with a few cocktails and a meal at Maze. Never done a Michelin star before, and quite frankly after this evening, can't see the fuss. Bland has a new definition. Has Gordon Ramsey lost the plot, or can any old cafe get a Michelin star these days?

Which swinky restaurant would you recommend on next invoice day?
                    If you eat after a few cocktails, you're not going to appreciate it properly?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X