Maze Maze
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Maze

Still gathering requirements...

tenpin has no reputation

Default Maze

New boy, slightly squiffy (well, not slightly), but just had an evening living the contractors life down Mayfair with a few cocktails and a meal at Maze. Never done a Michelin star before, and quite frankly after this evening, can't see the fuss. Bland has a new definition. Has Gordon Ramsey lost the plot, or can any old cafe get a Michelin star these days?

Which swanky restaurant would you recommend on next invoice day?

Godlike

threaded is good enough for Jehovah!

Applebee's
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Fingers like lightning

fckvwls has no reputation

-I fancy the Fat Duck, if only to try the snail porridge just once.
    -I always enjoy Claridge's
    -Tried Pied A Terre or the Hibiscus?

Godlike

Paddy is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by tenpin View Post

Which swinky restaurant would you recommend on next invoice day?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4570901.stm
    Brexiteers remind me of religious fanatics, only faith, no facts.

Banned

singhr has no reputation

I just brekfasted at our local branch of Chapters. The Sausage Sandwich on white with brown sauce was 'to die for'. No Michelin stars but Billy 'no stars' was serving. His command of the english language is improving too. dahling you simply must try it!

Super poster

Lockhouse is NOT a disguised employee

Ah restaurants....

For about 5 years whilst I was single-ish, every week I'd go out with some mates or the current gf and do a nice bar, top restaurant then a club, so I've been to quite a few of the "decent" places in London. I got really bored with it in the end - believe me there's only so much Laurent Perrier Rose you can drink. I used to hang out pretty much all the time at the upstairs bar in Mezzo's, the Atlantic Bar and Titanic. I met the missus for the first time in Titanic.

It started out around 50\50 - half the time it would be a so-so experience and half the time it would be very good. After a while it went down to about 90\10 - most of the time I was just bored. I was one of those sad people that used to hunt down new restaurant openings and try to beat the reviewers to eat there. I ate at the original Petrus as soon as it opened, Foliage, L'Oranger, Mash, Coast, The Oak Room, Quags, CdP - so many I can't remember them all.

The best meal I ever ate was at the old Chez Nico on Park Lane which is now closed. It was composed pretty much entirely of black truffles. Also I remember one evening when I'd been out with a couple of chums at Le Gavroche and told my brother what the bill was he said that he'd just bought a car for less than that....At Isola in Knightsbridge two of us spent £1000 on pre-war Armagnac. At The Chop House (MpW, now closed) we sent out for a bottle of Chateau D'Yquem as they had it on the wine list but not in the cellar. Mad, mad, mad.

It all got a bit American Psycho in the end. I didn't really ever leave that existence and I was drinking far too much than was good for me. It was never about the money or how much I was chucking away - my choice and to bemoan it is bad form.

That was around 10 years ago. These days I get more pleasure from a proper steak and a pint of real ale. Age & contentment have definitely got something to do with that but also I've definitely lived the life and to be honest you can keep it. It's all pretence. So saying that I'm off to Paris for a gastronomic weekend next week and I've already booked my tables.....old habits die hard.

Didn't mean to wander, but the point of all this was to get to my favourite restaurant; Le Caprice. It's a restaurant for people that eat at restaurants all the time. If you don't you'll probably wonder what all the fuss was about, but it's pretty much perfect.

Just my 2p worth, didn't mean to dash out a life story.

Andy
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Banned

singhr has no reputation

christ, did you just type that lot out? you should be on the back page of the Sunday Times joshing with Micheal Winner

Super poster

Lockhouse is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by singhr View Post
    christ, did you just type that lot out? you should be on the back page of the Sunday Times joshing with Micheal Winner
    To be honest I've been on the next table to him a couple of times and he eats with his mouth open.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Ducklike

Platypus is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by Lockhouse View Post
    he eats with his mouth open.
    Yuk - a habit I despise

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by tenpin View Post
    New boy, slightly squiffy (well, not slightly), but just had an evening living the contractors life down Mayfair with a few cocktails and a meal at Maze. Never done a Michelin star before, and quite frankly after this evening, can't see the fuss. Bland has a new definition. Has Gordon Ramsey lost the plot, or can any old cafe get a Michelin star these days?

Which swinky restaurant would you recommend on next invoice day?
    If you eat after a few cocktails, you're not going to appreciate it properly?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing