A step up? A step up?
Posts 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: A step up?

  1. #1

    Potty-trained

    suityou01 is NOT a disguised employee

    suityou01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Skid row
    Posts
    21,020

    Default A step up?

    Going for a gig next week. BA role. The thing is, I've been a code monkey all my life. OK I have done lots of BA work in my time, data modelling, systems analysis etc but then coded up what I designed as well. My CV is starting to tip over towards BA/Systems analyst. I know I can't code forever, and have to get a grown up job at some point.

    I had a telephone interview today, and bagged a face to face next week. I think the PM I spoke to went the programmer > BA > PM route, and I think I seemed to remind him a bit of him when he was younger.

    The thing is, its just a bit flipping daunting. When did you last get a leg up, and how did you find it? I put it to the panel.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

  2. #2

    More fingers than teeth

    minestrone is NOT a disguised employee

    minestrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    16,329

    Default

    I was an architect with a team of ten and a budget of millions in a very big Japanese automotive corporation in my last permie job, when I left that to go contracting I was earning 3 times more changing HTML pages.

    Such is life.

  3. #3

    Party Animal

    Zippy has more data than eek

    Zippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mr Flibble's wardrobe
    Posts
    20,670

    Default

    Doooooooomed.

    The last leg up I had was when I went from code monkey to running the development team. Nothing exploded, nobody killed anybody else (it was close). And - bugger me - I could do it.
    Best of luck with the interview.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

    Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

    CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

  4. #4

    Batty

    norrahe is NOT a disguised employee

    norrahe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sticks and the City
    Posts
    27,067

    Default

    Good luck, but be warned being a BA just means you're the PM's biatch!

    It's not so bad, there isn't anything to it moving from developing to BA, you'll find you have an advantage in getting documentation together.

    Btw you going for a BA role in the Lloyd's market?
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

    Norrahe's blog

  5. #5

    Should post faster

    Evil Hangover has no reputation

    Evil Hangover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norrahe View Post
    Good luck, but be warned being a BA just means you're the PM's biatch!

    It's not so bad, there isn't anything to it moving from developing to BA, you'll find you have an advantage in getting documentation together.

    Btw you going for a BA role in the Lloyd's market?
    That's total bollocks isn't it. Good BA's have by definition an excellent knowledge of the 'business' coupled with an ability to get on well with others and be comfortable in the company of senior management

    Can't say I've met many developers like that.

  6. #6

    Batty

    norrahe is NOT a disguised employee

    norrahe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sticks and the City
    Posts
    27,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Hangover View Post
    That's total bollocks isn't it. Good BA's have by definition an excellent knowledge of the 'business' coupled with an ability to get on well with others and be comfortable in the company of senior management

    Can't say I've met many developers like that.
    Been there done that got the T-shirt...

    Not from a development point of view, but when you've been involved at grass roots level if can be an advantage from a BA Perspective.

    If you're coming at a BA type role and dealing with systems, it will help knowing the metality of the people that you're speccing for and also when dealing with developers and putting together functional specs you can add that little bit more detail having come from the development background.

    In my line of work a some developers have moved on (I would never say up).

    I've moved from underwriting to BA/Systems Analyst to Implementation Manager to PM
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

    Norrahe's blog

  7. #7

    Potty-trained

    suityou01 is NOT a disguised employee

    suityou01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Skid row
    Posts
    21,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norrahe View Post
    Good luck, but be warned being a BA just means you're the PM's biatch!

    It's not so bad, there isn't anything to it moving from developing to BA, you'll find you have an advantage in getting documentation together.

    Btw you going for a BA role in the Lloyd's market?
    No, this is for a telco. I have a distorted view of the Lloyds market now. I understand working pressure, and deadlines, but when you have to maintain a pace whereby its all about quick fixes and hackarounds you build up so much technical debt that the staff turnover is frequent, and the whole house of cards falls down. If Lloyds market is like this all over then no thanks.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

  8. #8

    Batty

    norrahe is NOT a disguised employee

    norrahe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sticks and the City
    Posts
    27,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suityou01 View Post
    No, this is for a telco. I have a distorted view of the Lloyds market now. I understand working pressure, and deadlines, but when you have to maintain a pace whereby its all about quick fixes and hackarounds you build up so much technical debt that the staff turnover is frequent, and the whole house of cards falls down. If Lloyds market is like this all over then no thanks.
    Nah, it's not like that, have been in the market for 13 years and never came across that sort of carp.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

    Norrahe's blog

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •