• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"The use of concrete is very interesting..."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swamp View Post
    US embassy wins listed status

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...sted-status.do

The US Embassy in Grosvenor Square has been protected with listed status, it emerged today.

Architecture Minister Margaret Hodge revealed she had given the landmark Mayfair structure a Grade II listing to preserve it for future generations.

She told Building Design: "The use of concrete is very interesting and for me it has got historical connections. I well remember the anti-Vietnam protests there in 1968."

The move could slash the £500 million the US government had hoped to make from selling the building because redevelopment options will be limited. The embassy will move to Nine Elms, south London, in 2016.

----

I actually feel sorry for the Americans. They are trying to do the right thing buy building a shiny new embassy in Wandsworth away from everyone else and their uber-prime real estate plot has been ruined.
    I read somewhere that there are dozens of tunnels from under the US embassy to buildings throughout the West End, and perhaps even further.

If anyone disputes that I can't prove it, but then you can't prove I'm wrong.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      I read somewhere that there are dozens of tunnels from under the US embassy to buildings throughout the West End, and perhaps even further.

Another problem is all the spying devices that various countries have built in that would appear if it was knocked down, and all the ructions that would cause.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Yes. It's called London Underground.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
          Yes. It's called London Underground.

I meant secret tunnels!

Come to think of it, the Post Office stoped using their private underground tunnel a couple of years ago. I wonder that's been co-opted into use for, if anything, apart from cables.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

http://www.newsweek.com/id/143657

The septics have form in this department.

I remember visiting Berlin just after the scaffolding came down from the U.S Embassy, almost every person I saw stopped, stared, and walked on shaking their head in disgust.

Heavily fortified Ibis.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
            X