• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Six Siigma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    It's a bit like SAP - the best place to learn it is as a permie in a company that's implementing it.

For the same reasons as SAP - it's expensive to get and people want to know you've got the experience as much as the certificate when they hire you.

HTH
    The certs are no good without the experience. I got Maximo experience and all the admin certs as a permie. Then went contracting. I made zero money. Not a penny out of Maximo.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Blue, green or black?

NOTE: this is a serious counter-question. Google Six Sigma and let us know...
      black belt it seems is the highest belt.

Have you done any six sigma?

A little background, I am an aspiring pm (with pm expereince!) who is looking at new skills...

Comment

Originally posted by thelurker View Post

A little background, I am an aspiring pm (with pm expereince!) who is looking at new skills...
        Lean Sigma was big with the large pharma co's a while back. Don't know if they can afford cr*p like that now though.

Comment

Lean six sigma looks decent route, if you can get a gig in public sector Id imagine

Comment

You skipped this bit, haven't you?

It's a bit like SAP - the best place to learn it is as a permie in a company that's implementing it.

For the same reasons as SAP - it's expensive to get and people want to know you've got the experience as much as the certificate when they hire you.

HTH
            Black-belts implement SS - in big companies they have full-time black belts, otherwise they bring in the big consultancies and use one of their black-belts.

Green-belts are trained specifically to support black-belts - usually super-users within the project/client company.

Blue-belts know about Green-belts and Black-belts.

Generally the only contract Black-belts have many years experience implementing SS within said big companies and consultancies.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Has anyone here done a six sigma, looking at doing this course.

Any advice would be grateful

Cheers
              Six Sigma (though Lean Six Sigma is more allegedly more appropriate in the IT world) is allegedly about improving operational efficiencies and thereby saving money. I use the word allegedly twice for a reason - as someone who has done it, it requires substantial buy in from the organisation or dept involved, so getting commitment could be tricky in the current environment.

However there is an argument that it could be of interest in the medium term if it is an additional string to your bow - given that people will undoubtedly want to increase the efficiency of their operations (if only to protect from the next down turn) so it might be something that gets resourced when there's money around again. So if you're a BA or a PM who has six sigma under your belt as well, it could be of use if something comes up at an existing gig. It all adds value - but you need to decide if your time is better spent learning something else.

I've done LSS and for me it is useful to have under my belt because it can give credibility if you move in those circles. I don't think that I have ever actually earned money out of LSS, but it has saved me grief from time to time - certainly in my days as a PM (I'll give you the detail offline if you're at all interested). Note also though that there are very few LSS vacancies even at the best of times.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Cheers for that.

I do an element of lean six sigma in my job so may look at the green belt in more detail.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  I dozed through an introductory lecture at one place.

I dunno if they ever implemented Six Sigma, but they no longer exist.
                  Quite.

Many companies proclaim SS with banners and trumpets blaring right until the point the try and implement it.

Then it suddenly gets watered down to a clear-desk policy...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Quite.

Many companies proclaim SS with banners and trumpets blaring right until the point the try and implement it.

Then it suddenly gets watered down to a clear-desk policy...
                    Happened at my last client co.

After realising the massive amount of change that would be required it was quietly shuffled under the nearest carpet.
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Lip service is the usual approach to this kind of cr*p in my experience. I once made myself unpopular when having sat through an all day Kaizen event, I asked "so, what's the difference then between a meeting and a Kaizen event?". It was not a popular question. Some of you may recognise the client from that comment.

Comment

Working...
                      X