• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Six Siigma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Lip service is the usual approach to this kind of cr*p in my experience.
    Seconded. I've worked at manufacturing companies with chronic problems in designing, procuring and building a product in unfeasible timescales only to be informed the "kaizen breakthrough" of drawing some coloured lines on the manufacturing area floor will lead us skipping into a land of milk and honey. Pure self-delusion.

That aside, I did work for a UK logistics company who were quite smart with tools such as 6S. But, in my experience, they are the exception.

Comment

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
      Seconded. I've worked at manufacturing companies with chronic problems in designing, procuring and building a product in unfeasible timescales only to be informed the "kaizen breakthrough" of drawing some coloured lines on the manufacturing area floor will lead us skipping into a land of milk and honey. Pure self-delusion.

That aside, I did work for a UK logistics company who were quite smart with tools such as 6S. But, in my experience, they are the exception.
      I had to implement Kanban in a manufacturing plant once. It fell over after two weeks cos the flipers stole all the brightly coloured collapsable boxes to sitck in the boot of their cars. That in addition to them colouring in the barcodes with marker pens.

Comment

The main problem I have with SS is that it is designed to support repeatable processes by eliminating recurrent points of error and/or delay. I've seen it used very ewffectively in Manufacturing, but I struggle to see how that it be mapped into most IT programmes without adding an unnecessary management overhead. Core elements perhaps, like continual assessment and PIRs, but you don't need a Black Belt to put them in place. It's a bit like SOX and the latest iteration of ITIL, really; over-engineered common sense.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
        X