• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Dog?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Dog?

I have pandered to Mrs Durbs animal needs over the years. We have at the moment house full of cats, fish and guinea pigs (with various other creatures coming and going over the years) i've finally decided i'm going to get what i've always wanted - a dog.

I've very little experience with dogs, having grown up in a cat family (and having had everything from snakes, lizards and hamsters since) so what is a good breed to look for?

I grew up in a pretty rural place so am used to collies but know from experience that farm dogs can range from lovely to insane within the same breed so am after:

- Big'ish dog, at least collie sized, none of these tulipty little toy dogs my mates seem to have
    - Likes exercise but not to the extent of some of the nutter collies i've known
    - I've 2 kids under 5, so nothing even remotely aggresive, needs to be good with kids

Any dog people with any tips? Basically, i'd like a farm collie but know from experience that it'd be a bad idea so what comes close?

You know the answer, you need a black lab.

Ours was a "failed" gun dog, so very well trained, but the most amazing family dog, would be as happy walking for hours in the rain as catching a pheasant as letting kids try and ride him like a horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
      letting kids try and ride him like a horse.
      I like that bit and add it as requirement 4! Black Lab is a good dog.

Was just looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligence_of_Dogs and was really surprised at No 2.

Comment

I love Weimeraners but you have to be very firm with them as they are so big. The two I've known have been great with cats, strangers and kids (and very good natured) but they were trained from birth.
        Maybe what you need is a collie crossed with someting chilled like a lab? Have a look round a local rescue centre and tell them what you are after - I'm sure they'll have a lovely mutt to suit.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Steer clear of collies, spaniels or terriers, you're after a hound. But not a bloodhound or foxhound. I have a mate who breeds dogs and has taken many a sire to Crufts. PM me some more detailed requirements and I can come back to you with a range of options.

We'll be doing the same soon, as we (I) plan to get a dog.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
            you're after a hound.
            I'd looked at Greyhounds, not normally what you'd consider but looks like they make a very good family dog.

Just been looking at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhound and this bit:

"Greyhounds do shed but do not have undercoats and therefore are less likely to trigger people's dog allergies (they are sometimes incorrectly referred to as "hypoallergenic")." caught my eye - i'm allergic to cat hair (great, seeing as i live in a house full of cats) so thats a big bonus.

Was assuming a rescue animal as all our animals have come via that route but with a dog i'm debating a puppy so it has time to acclimatize to the cats/kids.

Comment

Growing up as a kid, my family had two dogs (not at the same time). We rescued both of them from the dog pound as puppies for the cost of a donation. Both were mutts - the first a cross between a border collie and a small spaniel, and the second a cross between a black lab and something small and very muscular.

They were both great companions.

Comment

Hows about a fighting dog ?

You are unwise to lower your defenses
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Just wanted to put a word in for Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Absolutely wonderful dogs, especially with children. They *do not* deserve the rep they have got from being owned by idiot chav's who think they are hard and then dump them when they realise they are actually more likely to lick you to death than try and bite anyone.

The are loyal, obedient and exceptionally patient, especially with kids, and have skin like a rhino that will take anything small children can throw at them without blinking.

They are short haired, so low maintenance and havea relaxed attitude to exercise. They will love it when available but don;t get stressed if not walked every day.

You might also think about going to your local rescue center. Most will have a whole variety of dogs needing a home and you may well end up with a breed you never considered to begin with as well as giving an abandoned animal a new home.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Traitor! Stick to cats!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X