• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Responding to interview questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Responding to interview questions

How do you respond if you cannot answer a question during an interview?

do the politician thing and answer the question with another question

or just keep talking long enough that they forget the question they have asked..
    Twitter: jonsmile

Comment

Depends, what sort of question you are talking about. My response would differ depending on whether it was a highly technical question, or (say) one regarding where I was born or what my middle name is...

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
        Depends, what sort of question you are talking about. My response would differ depending on whether it was a highly technical question, or (say) one regarding where I was born or what my middle name is...
        how would you responed to a highly technical question?

Comment

I wouldnt disclose how I deal with this on a board. I may be up against someone for the role who doesnt yet know how to respond and by giving clues away here, lessen my chances of success.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Slumdog View Post
            Pretend you didn't hear him and start staring out of the window.

Comment

If you haven't got a clue say so, if you have a slight clue then ask a couple of questions to clarify and talk around the subject.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

"That would be an ecumenical matter."

Comment

Originally posted by Slumdog View Post
                  Think about the question they have asked and explain to them how you would solve it. Explain to them the steps you would take to solve the problem or how you would go about finding what to do. I have even answered with RTFM in an interview and I got the contract!
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Think about the question they have asked and explain to them how you would solve it. Explain to them the steps you would take to solve the problem or how you would go about finding what to do. I have even answered with RTFM in an interview and I got the contract!
                    yep.

One gig, I was the lead interviewer and the PM was specific - no bull sh 1 tters.

So one of the three questions was deliberately unanswerable, and some of the crap we were shovelled was hilarious. It was such an eyeopener that I have used it several times since. It sure weeds out the BS blowhards.

So I agree with Paddy here. 'I have no idea, but this is how I go about solving problems'

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X