• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I remember when my take home pay was...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 1994 I started as an accountant on 1000 EUR per month - before 50% taxes. Not much room for fun. Had to borrow 1000 GBP from my parents for my first PC - paid it back over 1.5 years.
    Last edited by ThomasSoerensen; 2 November 2009, 15:37.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Whatever £1500/yr got you in 1973.

Income tax was 30%.

Employee's NI was (if what I found was correct) 5.25%.
      Just short of 30 quid a week then. In 1973 between school and uni I got a night job which paid a princely 21 quid a week - if I'd been 21 I'd have got 28 quid a week, but it was what the unions had agreed. And folks wondered why I had little sympathy with unions...

The following year I splurged all my student holiday money on hifi and ended up with a set up which lasted many years. My parents went a bit mental about it, but if I hadn't spent it on hifi they wouldn't have given me any money at all (their income put me in zero grant territory) and my father would have wasted it on cars anyway.

Some of my student mates managed to get £40 a week working long hours in crappy conditions - bread factories and foundries come to mind, but I never managed those dizzy sums.

First proper job in 1977, £2300(?) p.a. with zero overtime. I'm not entirely sure about that figure but it worked out at about £180 per month take home pay.

Programmer-cum-operator but classed as a "Management Trainee" so that they could claim most of it from the government. We did get a decent pay-freeze busting rise which we were only too happy to keep quiet about.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

£26 per week in 1978 working in a 'suits you sir' tailors/high street clothing outfit

Comment

I remember take home pay.

Just.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            You're the git that sold me that dreadful beige suit with the lapels out to the shoulders, aren't you?
            I think I must have got his elder brother a few years earlier.

I came across some old wedding photos from that era a few months ago. We looked like the Mafia.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
              In 1994 I started as an accountant on 1000 EUR per month - before 50% taxes. Not much room for fun. Had to borrow 1000 GBP from my parents for my first PC - paid it back over 1.5 years.
              My first PC was a second hand IBM XT - 512k RAM and a 20Mb hard drive - then I splashed out another £550 on a dot matrix printer.

Comment

First holiday job, late '60's ... 6s3.5d/hr. (Just over £12 per week). I resolved then that I would be making £3000 /year by the time I was 30!

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                  My first PC was a second hand IBM XT - 512k RAM and a 20Mb hard drive - then I splashed out another £550 on a dot matrix printer.
                  mine was an intel dx4 486 66mhz (with turbo button to increase it to 100mhz) and 4 med of RAM. I remember I had to pay an extre 400GBP for the abpve standard extra 2 meg of ram. Cracking machine. I tought myself the office package from Novell. With the spreadsheet called quattro-pro. All for following my business bachelor. Where everyone used MS excel
                  "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

I remember when my take home pay was the same as my gross pay.

Oh, hang on, it still is.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                      I remember when my take home pay was the same as my gross pay.

Oh, hang on, it still is.
                      I'd like some hints and tips on achieving this please
                      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                      X