• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business sectors you wont work in.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business sectors you wont work in.

Are there any?

I was once asked to do a contract working for a pharmaceutical company in cheshire which undertook animal testing.

Was told I would be asked if I was in agreement with stuff such as LD50 etc. Decided I wouldnt be able to lie through my teeth just to get the job so declined the interview.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Are there any?

I was once asked to do a contract working for a pharmaceutical company in cheshire which undertook animal testing.

Was told I would be asked if I was in agreement with stuff such as LD50 etc. Decided I wouldnt be able to lie through my teeth just to get the job so declined the interview.
    Public sector.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I had real issues with my last client, as I didn't like them or what they did. However, it was a subsidiary of a larger organisation who I was happy to work with - if I'd known all the details, I wouldn't have taken it (and one of the reasons that I turned down the extension on offer).
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        Public sector.
        WHS++

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I went for an interview for missile guidance. I asked my old fella if it was morally right - he told me that if I didn't do it someone else would. Never got that one anyhow.

Comment

I was wondering about this a few days ago.

When I first started work, "What sectors won't you work in?" was a common question but I haven't heard it for many years (possiby because I have the MOD on my CV).

They used to double-check:

"What about defence? Animal testing? The fur trade? But what about the nuclear industry?"

There is only one role I have turned down for ethical reasons: it was to put in a system that would make 200 people redundant.

I won't go back to the finance sector: my experience of a fund management company was even worse than suityou01's.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
              I went for an interview for missile guidance. I asked my old fella if it was morally right - he told me that if I didn't do it someone else would. Never got that one anyhow.
              Could made the same argument about selling heroin to schoolkids.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
                I went for an interview for missile guidance. I asked my old fella if it was morally right - he told me that if I didn't do it someone else would.
                That is how atrocities become possible...
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
                  Could made the same argument about selling heroin to schoolkids.
                  Never got it anyhow, so never a problem.

Comment

I won't work for tobacco manufacturers, but mainly because I'd be disowned by my family.

Defence? No problem. ( I worked on some software used in the making of Apache helicopters ).
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X