• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Classic programming books aka Kernighan and Ritchie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You are not going to believe it but I've got (apparently) internationally recognised Masters degree in real estate
    That's why I asked
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      No tulip...

Comment

Is it possible that AtW is Ukranian ?

we should be told

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Is it possible that AtW is Ukranian ?

we should be told

Watch Red Heat...

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
            He did a sequel entitled 'Writing Solid Code' which was quite good as well.
            And "Rapid Development" which is aimed at the manager.
            Essential for any PM/Manager who deals with techie staff IMHO.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              And "Rapid Development" which is aimed at the manager.
              Essential for any PM/Manager who deals with techie staff IMHO.
              I like McConnell. He has a very readable style and he gets complex points across in a very accessible and entertaining way. A rare talent.

[oops - it was actually Steve Maguire who wrote 'Writing Solid Code' - too many Steves]

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Java Concurrency in Practice may be an odd choice to be elected to the All Time Greats, but it is a very good book indeed.

I recently binned (recycled) about 30kg of computer books. I kept the Mythical Man Month, I kept K&R, but I got shot of many useless old tomes. Big books seem to sell, but they are usually either full of waffle and guff, or they are jammed with reference material which would be better on the web.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                  Java Concurrency in Practice may be an odd choice to be elected to the All Time Greats, but it is a very good book indeed.

I recently binned (recycled) about 30kg of computer books. I kept the Mythical Man Month, I kept K&R, but I got shot of many useless old tomes. Big books seem to sell, but they are usually either full of waffle and guff, or they are jammed with reference material which would be better on the web.
                  I read it first at Uni (hard back) then got my own paperback copy. I was very disappointed that the paperback didn't have the two page introduction, what to look out for when you arrive on a project. Does your copy have it?
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Pretty much anything in the Addison-Wesley Professional Computing series. E.g. GoF - Design Patterns, Meyers - Effective C++ etc.

ETA: Modern C++ Design by Andrei Alexandrescu - the book that popularised template metaprogramming http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_metaprogramming
                    Last edited by Scary; 4 November 2009, 17:56.

Comment

Programming Pearls and the sequels by Jon Bentley would be at the top of my list. Then I always did difficult!

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                      X