• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just got canned...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got canned...

Just had a tap on the shoulder from pointy haired boss. Not a huge shock as I have been doing the work of 2 people on maternity leave and they are back in, was hoping to see the contract through to end of year. I have enjoyed the responsibility (P+L £5m+, 50+ staff) and the staff have been great meaning unlike virtually every other contract, I will be very sorry to leave.
    Not looking forward to the bench (5 months before this 10 monther) and can't see where the next job, let alone one at this level is coming from.
    Sorry, bit shaken, stiff drink and dig out the CV !

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Sorry to hear. Hopefully summat will pop up soon.

Comment

Things do seem a little busier - better to be dumped now than say 4 months ago.

Hope something turns up.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Sorry to hear. Hopefully summat will pop up soon.
        WHS

Lots of good stuff to add to your CV
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Just had a tap on the shoulder from pointy haired boss. Not a huge shock as I have been doing the work of 2 people on maternity leave and they are back in, was hoping to see the contract through to end of year. I have enjoyed the responsibility (P+L £5m+, 50+ staff) and the staff have been great meaning unlike virtually every other contract, I will be very sorry to leave.
          Not looking forward to the bench (5 months before this 10 monther) and can't see where the next job, let alone one at this level is coming from.
          Hard luck, and that's what it is; it's a case of being lucky right now; meritocracy doesn't come into the equation.

I had a contract leading 20+ testers for a big project replacing a core banking system; reporting to directors and with a lot of freedom to run things as I saw fit. The the bank suffered a bank run, was dumped by the central bank and in a space of 5 minutes I went from being a well paid interim manager to being benched. I actually stayed on for a couple of days voluntarily because I didn't want to just walk away from the people who'd worked for me without first helping them to deal with what had happened.

It's tulipe, but it happens, and then you pick yourself up again and you'll be stronger for the experience.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Luke,

good luck

Milan.

Comment

Sorry to hear that.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

make sure you go out on a high note Luke.
                A very high note.

Sounds like there are many females of child bearing age, or with young ones,

I can see them getting you back , possibly at short notice.

grease that pointy haired git. do it today

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Big up the P+L £5m+, 50+ staff on the CV. Make it look like a managers CV.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    Big up the P+L £5m+, 50+ staff on the CV. Make it look like a managers CV.
                    That's right

5m+ = ca. 10m
                    50+ staff = ca. 100 staff
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X