• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

v. scary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v. scary

Just got of the scariest flight I've ever been on in my whole life. Really violent turbulence with people screaming - at one point there was a bang and the whole plane just seemed to fall out the sky with stuff spilling out the overhead lockers. Thought that was curtains back there for a while. Apparently, someone told me just now to put my mind at rest, a plane has never crashed as a result of turbulance. Is that right? It felt to me like the wings could have sheared off at any moment.

A mate of mine who works in the aero industry and is an aero engineer has told me that the wings can bend to touch each other and will not break or shear off. They are tested to ensure that they are as flexible as possible if need. Apparently, Still have a stiff drink and a few more after that ordeal.

HTH
    "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
      Just got of the scariest flight I've ever been on in my whole life. Really violent turbulence with people screaming - at one point there was a bang and the whole plane just seemed to fall out the sky with stuff spilling out the overhead lockers. Thought that was curtains back there for a while. Apparently, someone told me just now to put my mind at rest, a plane has never crashed as a result of turbulance. Is that right? It felt to me like the wings could have sheared off at any moment.
      That's right, it isn't the turbulence that causes the plane to crash, it's gravity that causes the plane to crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Tony View Post
        have a stiff drink and a few more after that ordeal.

HTH
        It was an ordeal and I've got a jug of Sangria in front of me right now to calm the nerves!

Comment

Thats par for the course with Ryan Air.

Comment

Any crash you can walk away from is a landing.

Glad you're ok - obviously not your turn - this time.........

Comment

Yikes. At least you could have persuaded somebody to join the mile high club...half-a-mile high club...quarter-of-a-mile high club...

Comment

Man, that's all I need, I hate flying.

Once on a plane that was landing at heathrow in very bad weather. The plane fell earily silent as we were heading down, as the plane was all over the place. The guy next to me started to whistle stairway to heaven. Just out of nervousness, he didn't release until I pointed it out. We didn't laugh until on the ground tho'!

Comment

Just glad I didn't realise at the time it's Friday the Thirteenth. They'd have had to have strapped me to my seat!

Comment

I remember once seeing a China Airways flight 666 on Friday the 13th in Changi airport, Singapore. No way you would have paid me to be on that flight!
                    "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Working...
                    X