v. scary v. scary
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: v. scary

Banned

wurzel is too good to be a permie

Default v. scary

Just got of the scariest flight I've ever been on in my whole life. Really violent turbulence with people screaming - at one point there was a bang and the whole plane just seemed to fall out the sky with stuff spilling out the overhead lockers. Thought that was curtains back there for a while. Apparently, someone told me just now to put my mind at rest, a plane has never crashed as a result of turbulance. Is that right? It felt to me like the wings could have sheared off at any moment.

Contractor Among Contractors

Swiss Tony has no reputation

A mate of mine who works in the aero industry and is an aero engineer has told me that the wings can bend to touch each other and will not break or shear off. They are tested to ensure that they are as flexible as possible if need. Apparently, Still have a stiff drink and a few more after that ordeal.

HTH
    "Wait, I still function!"

Super poster

Moose423956 is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
    Just got of the scariest flight I've ever been on in my whole life. Really violent turbulence with people screaming - at one point there was a bang and the whole plane just seemed to fall out the sky with stuff spilling out the overhead lockers. Thought that was curtains back there for a while. Apparently, someone told me just now to put my mind at rest, a plane has never crashed as a result of turbulance. Is that right? It felt to me like the wings could have sheared off at any moment.
    That's right, it isn't the turbulence that causes the plane to crash, it's gravity that causes the plane to crash.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
    have a stiff drink and a few more after that ordeal.

HTH
    It was an ordeal and I've got a jug of Sangria in front of me right now to calm the nerves!

Banned

Diestl has no reputation

Thats par for the course with Ryan Air.

Banned

Churchill has more data than eek

Any crash you can walk away from is a landing.

Glad you're ok - obviously not your turn - this time.........

Prehistoric

thunderlizard is too good to be a permie

Yikes. At least you could have persuaded somebody to join the mile high club...half-a-mile high club...quarter-of-a-mile high club...

Jeebo72 is too good to be a permie

Man, that's all I need, I hate flying.

Once on a plane that was landing at heathrow in very bad weather. The plane fell earily silent as we were heading down, as the plane was all over the place. The guy next to me started to whistle stairway to heaven. Just out of nervousness, he didn't release until I pointed it out. We didn't laugh until on the ground tho'!

Banned

Just glad I didn't realise at the time it's Friday the Thirteenth. They'd have had to have strapped me to my seat!

Swiss Tony has no reputation

I remember once seeing a China Airways flight 666 on Friday the 13th in Changi airport, Singapore. No way you would have paid me to be on that flight!
    "Wait, I still function!"