• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Efficient public sector organisations ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Efficient public sector organisations ...

..they do exist. I nominate Wandsworth Council. They are efficient and cost effective (lowest council tax in the country). I don't know what they pay their CEO but he's worth every penny.
    If they can do it why can't others?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

This is going to be a VERY short thread.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      ..they do exist. I nominate Wandsworth Council. They are efficient and cost effective (lowest council tax in the country). I don't know what they pay their CEO but he's worth every penny.
      Some time back I lived in Wandsworth for a number of years. Council Tax was £0 every year until eventually they raised it to something like £140, yes agreed best Council around. My council tax is now more than £2K.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Would that be the same efficient Wandsworth council that has 51 Conservative councillors and only 9 Labour ones?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Would that be the same efficient Wandsworth council that has 51 Conservative councillors and only 9 Labour ones?
          nailed it in one.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

You can't really compare councils with other government organisations.

My wife works for North Somerset council where wages are low, they're penned in like animals and still use beige coloured PC's.

Conversely a certain gov site I'm at has brand spanking new equipment, plush offices with large desks and £800 orthopaedic chairs.These lazy feckers need a bonus scheme to get them to do the jobs they were hired to do.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              You can't really compare councils with other government organisations.

My wife works for North Somerset council where wages are low, they're penned in like animals and still use beige coloured PC's.

No doubt they are being charged £2000 per PC per year for support by a company owned by a friend of the council.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

It's a zero sum game though isn't it? For everyone that loses, someone else gains, whatever the system. In this case it's the fat cats at the top and the public that gain rather than the workers. By contrast, with inefficient operations, the workers gain. Actually, no, it's likely to be fat cats at the top that gain again.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  No doubt they are being charged £2000 per PC per year for support by a company owned by a friend of the council.
                  No that would never pass scrutiny, they have some old fashioned system called in-house support.

After taking advice from some spiv consultancy they are of course looking at outsourcing to a global giant who will charge a fortune but pay the same people less to do the same job they have always done, it's all the rage.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                  X