• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Programmers need to learn Stats or I will kill them all ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programmers need to learn Stats or I will kill them all ...

Hey you go you limited IT guys, try to read and learn:

http://www.zedshaw.com/essays/programmer_stats.html
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Most people earn less than the average. Perhaps they should learn Stats to earn more?
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

I'm starting to feel sorry for you.

Thrown on the permie scrapheap due to greedy bankers and an incompetent government, and all you can do is feel bitterness that IT folk are pulling in good money whilst you pot noodle in a shed.

Comment

Tell me about it. I was asked to add an autocorrelation function into a statistics package, so I wrote one. The customer decided it wasn't right. When I interviewed them, it was the autocorrelation co-efficient as used in signal processing they wanted. So I calmly asked why didn't they ask for that. After writing them one of those, it was still giving the 'wrong number'. Eventually got them to tell me what answer they wanted and it turned out to be a Breusch–Godfrey serial correlation LM test.

Oh how I laughed.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          Tell me about it. I was asked to add an autocorrelation function into a statistics package, so I wrote one. The customer decided it wasn't right. When I interviewed them, it was the autocorrelation co-efficient as used in signal processing they wanted. So I calmly asked why didn't they ask for that. After writing them one of those, it was still giving the 'wrong number'. Eventually got them to tell me what answer they wanted and it turned out to be a Breusch–Godfrey serial correlation LM test.

Oh how I laughed.
          Good story for the pub on a Friday night.

Comment

Eventually got them to tell me what answer they wanted and it turned out to be a Breusch–Godfrey serial correlation LM test.

Oh how I laughed.
            I guess you had to be there...

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Good story for the pub on a Friday night.
              If he wants a table to himself.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Good find

Comment

Sorry about that. Normally we just ask people to get a left-handed spanner or "a long weight" but in your case we didn't have the heart.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    I'm starting to feel sorry for you.

Thrown on the permie scrapheap due to greedy bankers and an incompetent government, and all you can do is feel bitterness that IT folk are pulling in good money whilst you pot noodle in a shed.
                    You IT guys make me laugh - you're so ignorant and narrow minded that you can only concieve of a binary world of "permies" and contractors.
                    You need to realise that I'm no longer in IT and my salary scale is not constrained by being an IT techie - so I'm not on your £70K max that most permies can expect.

but don't worry Dim, you carry on with your web programming
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X