Dim Dim
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Dim

  1. #1

    Richer than sasguru

    DimPrawn is always on top

    DimPrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Covid City
    Posts
    36,143

    Default Dim

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8367933.stm

    Energy-efficient light bulbs lose on average 22% of their brightness over their lifetime, a study has found.

    In some cases they emit just 60% as much light as traditional models which are being phased out of shops, it says.

    The study in Engineering and Technology magazine concluded that consumers were being misled by the bulbs' packaging.

    Of the 18 energy-saving bulbs tested over 10,000 hours by the Institution of Engineering and Technology, three stopped altogether.

    Critics, however, claim they can trigger migraines, make skin conditions worse and lead to other health problems.


    But most friggin annoying of all is the fact the ones I seem to have ended up with take 10 minutes to reach full brightness. Until then they just slightly glow orange.

    SARS-CoV-2 - Finally something from China that still works as designed.

  2. #2

    Godlike

    Clippy has no reputation

    Clippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8367933.stm

    Energy-efficient light bulbs lose on average 22% of their brightness over their lifetime, a study has found.

    In some cases they emit just 60% as much light as traditional models which are being phased out of shops, it says.

    The study in Engineering and Technology magazine concluded that consumers were being misled by the bulbs' packaging.

    Of the 18 energy-saving bulbs tested over 10,000 hours by the Institution of Engineering and Technology, three stopped altogether.

    Critics, however, claim they can trigger migraines, make skin conditions worse and lead to other health problems.


    But most friggin annoying of all is the fact the ones I seem to have ended up with take 10 minutes to reach full brightness. Until then they just slightly glow orange.

    That's because you've bought a box of candles.

    HTH.

  3. #3

    Super Tramp

    RichardCranium has more data than eek

    RichardCranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Up Tulip Creek
    Posts
    12,288

    Default

    Thank feck for that.

    I have been banging on about how we've been conned by these things for yonks.

    They're crap, crap, crappity crap.

  4. #4

    Super poster

    Moose423956 is a permanent contractor

    Moose423956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,736

    Default

    They don't work very well with those touch sensitive lamps, where you touch it once and it comes on low, then touch it again and it gets a bit brighter, then touch it once more and it comes on full brightness. With the low energy bulbs the lamp just stays the same brightness no matter how many times you touch it.

  5. #5

    Super poster

    Board Game Geek is too good to be a permie

    Board Game Geek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In a Cave
    Posts
    4,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Thank flip for that.

    I have been banging on about how we've been conned by these things for yonks.

    They're crap, crap, crappity crap.
    I think they are brilliant, because the environmentalists told me so, and their research is always right, and they wouldn't lie to us.

    Okay, perhaps we will need more and more of these lights, due to their reduced lifespan, but all the extra manufacturing, additional transportation and trips to the supermarket is still ok, since we are buying "green".

    Trips that consume energy solely for the purpose of obtaining green energy and products don't count.

    Eg, taking the old CRT telly to the dump in the Hummer is bad.

    Taking the Hummer to the dump to drop off a plastic bottle in the recycling bottle bank is good.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

    C.S. Lewis

  6. #6

    More fingers than teeth

    OwlHoot - scorchio!

    OwlHoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,688

    Default

    and don't forget the team of spacesuited cleaners you have to call in to clean up the powdered mercury if you break one.

    Roll on decent LED "fir cone" bulbs.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

  7. #7

    Super poster

    MPwannadecentincome is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    2,450

    Default

    I thought when I saw the title "Dim" that you were going to insult yourself

    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8367933.stm

    But most friggin annoying of all is the fact the ones I seem to have ended up with take 10 minutes to reach full brightness. Until then they just slightly glow orange.

    Try the Philips Turbo model its almost instant brightness, also see this
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

  8. #8

    Super poster

    Board Game Geek is too good to be a permie

    Board Game Geek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In a Cave
    Posts
    4,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    I thought when I saw the title "Dim" that you were going to insult yourself



    Try the Philips Turbo model its almost instant brightness, also see this
    Why are the wattages so low ?

    I'm was used to 100w bulbs in my teens, and even then that was too dark sometimes. 30w ? pah !
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

    C.S. Lewis

  9. #9

    Double Godlike!

    original PM is a fount of knowledge

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    12,823

    Default

    yeah but they are really cheap - maybe as cheap as other light bulbs

    having said that I have not bought any bulbs for a while so they may always have been cheap.

    more to the point I am really adding anything to this thread?

  10. #10

    Super poster

    MPwannadecentincome is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    2,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    yeah but they are really cheap - maybe as cheap as other light bulbs

    having said that I have not bought any bulbs for a while so they may always have been cheap.

    more to the point I am really adding anything to this thread?
    Nope!

    which is a bit unusual for you actually
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •