• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HR Departments; does the world need them?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Permies need them, they do actually add some value given the maze of conflicting rules and regs that management have to navigate these days and they are usually quite good at keeping track of who has yet to do their working at heights awareness training (in my case, working at heights means "Rob - get up that ladder and bring down that spare tape drive please"...) and the empty box moving course (aka Manual Handling...).
    Really???

In every place I've ever worked some manager always sorted that stuff out as well as doing their proper job. When they left stuff to HR it didn't get done.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      I wish somebody would tell HR departments that. Last contract - entry and exit questionnaires, induction training was completed during the last week of a six month gig, the flexi time wall clock plugin thingie couldn't cope with the hours I worked so weekly sessions with HR sorting out what hours I was owed and so on...

I'm a contractor not a permie, your company and my company have a business to business relationship, what don't you understand about that?
      They don't understand anything about that. To them, they are the employer, you are the employee, and it doesn't matter what ypu don't understand about that, you'll be doing it their way.
      Step outside posh boy

Comment

Unions and HR departments, no we don`t need them.

Had an experience with a HR department a while ago, quite an interesting story.<evil grin>

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          The world would be a better, happier and more profitable place without HR departments. Thoughts, congregation?
          Personnel. Admin function. Should look after no more than holiday lists, sickness records, payroll admin etc. Nothing more. As a rule, shouldn't employ men.
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
          X