HR Departments; does the world need them? HR Departments; does the world need them?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 14

Obstinate Git

Mich the Tester is NOT a disguised employee

Default HR Departments; does the world need them?

The world would be a better, happier and more profitable place without HR departments. Thoughts, congregation?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

System Manager

Sysman is a permanent contractor

First against the wall come the revolution.

IMO

HTH

Super poster

swamp is too good to be a permie

And it would be a more litigious place too. HR prevent expensive legal action from occuring. This is probably their main job.
    Cats are evil.

More fingers than teeth

minestrone is NOT a disguised employee

I don't have a problem with HR departments, it is the jumped up secretaries that they mostly use for staff.

Potty-trained

suityou01 is NOT a disguised employee

Sales, Accounts, IT. That's about all you need.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Godlike

threaded is good enough for Jehovah!

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    And it would be a more litigious place too. HR prevent expensive legal action from occuring. This is probably their main job.
    From my experience I beg to differ. I know of several examples where HR departments, if they knew anything about Danish employment law, could have saved themselves an awful lot of money.

Most seem to be somewhere to park the bosses assorted wives and/or girlfriends.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Super poster

MrMark is too good to be a permie

Quote Originally Posted by suityou01 View Post
    Sales, Accounts, IT. That's about all you need.
    What about the workers!

There does seem to be a divide between those who have a tangible output - whether it be a new reporting screen or new customer, and those intangibles eg HR, comms folk, marketing, admin etc. But all companies end up employing folk in the 2nd group, so they must serve some purpose..

Double Godlike!

malvolio - scorchio!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...

Human Remains, last refuge of the incompetent....

Permies need them, they do actually add some value given the maze of conflicting rules and regs that management have to navigate these days and they are usually quite good at keeping track of who has yet to do their working at heights awareness training (in my case, working at heights means "Rob - get up that ladder and bring down that spare tape drive please"...) and the empty box moving course (aka Manual Handling...).

Contractors don't need them at all.
    Blog? What blog...?

Pilchard

Cliphead has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    Contractors don't need them at all.
    I wish somebody would tell HR departments that. Last contract - entry and exit questionnaires, induction training was completed during the last week of a six month gig, the flexi time wall clock plugin thingie couldn't cope with the hours I worked so weekly sessions with HR sorting out what hours I was owed and so on...

I'm a contractor not a permie, your company and my company have a business to business relationship, what don't you understand about that?

Super poster

Board Game Geek is too good to be a permie

Quote Originally Posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    The world would be a better, happier and more profitable place without HR departments. Thoughts, congregation?
    No.

No HR departments means a virtual guaranteed reliance on outsourced Rec Cons to provide personnel for companies.

Even worse, they'd model their busines to provide even more services to the host company, and dig their dirty little parasitic bloodsucking tentacles in further.

It's a case of better the devil you know, rather than the host of devils you don't.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis