• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would be your important considerations if you were offered a perm position?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Not much use if I can't see what to spend it on.
    you could afford to hire a publicist

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

It would have to be well paid (obviously)
      On me doorstep
      40 days holiday

I think I'm just a bit fed up of working down South
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Do they lock the stationery cupboard?

Is there free tea / coffee?

Is there anywhere to sleep undisturbed?
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
          It would have to be well paid (obviously)
          On me doorstep
          40 days holiday

I think I'm just a bit fed up of working down South
          Hmmmm, first two are possible but not the last one IMHO.

Are we saying that we just wouldn't take the pay cut.

If the money was better would be take the permie BS

What is permie "security" worth in relation to contractor hassle (bench time and oft considerable commutes and time away from family????
          Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
            What would be your top three, if a clientco made you a serious offer?
            1. Location / ability to work from home.

2. Salary / bonus structure - how frequently / realistically is there a pay review? How does it compare to what I earn now as a contractor?

3. Challenge / variety of the work.

I left my first permie job because I wasn't getting the market rate for what I did, or any kind of recognition for the amount of work I brought into the company. I also didn't like the location. I left my second job because I wasn't getting the variety of work that I like.

If a company can balance the two, then I'm in
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

No 360 degree reviews bulltulip

Comment

How do all contractors manage to work in such crummy places prior to contracting? I've had permie jobs in 3 companies (all software companies) and none had this sense of wading through HR rubbish everyone claims is everywhere. Apart from annual reviews, which took an hour or two once a year, it was a job - they gave me stuff to work on and I did it.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  How do all contractors manage to work in such crummy places prior to contracting? I've had permie jobs in 3 companies (all software companies) and none had this sense of wading through HR rubbish everyone claims is everywhere. Apart from annual reviews, which took an hour or two once a year, it was a job - they gave me stuff to work on and I did it.
                  As you get a bit older, you will accumulate a thing called maturity. As you mature you will begin to realise that not everyone else has had the same experience that you have enjoyed.
                  Some will have had a whole heap of sh1 t piled upon them, some will have been inordinately lucky.
                  Some will be fighters, some will look for the easy path.

As you mature even more, you will discover a trait known as empathy. At this point you will be able to put yourself in the shoes of the high flyers, the unfortunates, the blaggers and the bombasts. You will learn to cry as well as laugh.

None of this maturity will help you in your contracting career, but it will make you a nicer person.

now fck off and come back when you are ready

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    now fck off and come back when you are ready

EO, you makes I laugh!
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've just gone permie after contracting since 1992 apart from 2002-6 when personal circs forced me into permiedom - loss of wife, loss of father, bout of depression, nursery age kids and permie job offered was WFH, so helped with schooling.....

2002 - What a sh1t year that was...

Anyway, recently spent three years on NHS contracting, got culled, got back as permie after warchest depleted and I fookin hate it. 'Rasing the Bar' 'Opportunities to Excel' meetings looking at Powerpoint piecharts - all that bollox.....

So far I can say nothing about permiedom for me in this role is 'a good thing' - can't even force myself to call in sick when I have a cold - it's too imbred; no day, no pay....

I'm a contractor, get me out of here......

Comment

Working...
                      X