• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would be your important considerations if you were offered a perm position?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    ...maturity... ...empathy. None of this ...will help you in your contracting career, but it will make you a nicer person....now fck off
    How edifying.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

For the last two client co's I've worked at the term "permy" would be a bit of a misnomer. More like "waiting for the chop-y".
      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
        What would be your top three, if a clientco made you a serious offer?
        I was once offered a permie job (more than 20 years ago) - the conversation went something like, 'if I gave you 45 grand to go permie, what else would it take'?? My answer was another 45 grand, so my answer would be double the average permies salary.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          As you mature even more, you will discover a trait known as empathy. At this point you will be able to put yourself in the shoes of the high flyers, the unfortunates, the blaggers and the bombasts. You will learn to cry as well as laugh.

Some days CUK is a river of vitriol. But occasionally, one comes across a valuable gem that makes the bile all worthwhile.

That was one such gem: a Crystal of Truth.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

1. Location

2. Money (not just salary but bens as well)

3. Work I enjoyed

The trouble is, as a contractor my marketability increases with each new place I work at, so it can only go down in a long stint of permiedom.

Comment

I work in IB. I'd consider going permie if I worked on the trading floor and didn't work for IT - i.e. directly for the business and with a business sized bonus.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                I work in IB. I'd consider going permie if I worked on the trading floor and didn't work for IT - i.e. directly for the business and with a business sized bonus.
                How can an IT worker make a leap into trading . Is it possible?

Comment

I'm considering going to my client and being made permanent if my business plans don't show any success next year. I'm the only one who knows all the insides and out of the software I've written for them. They have asked me twice in the past.

Not sure I'd get what I'd ask for though. Salaries in IT are a farce IMHO. compared to American salaries they are a joke.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                    Salaries in IT are a farce IMHO. compared to American salaries they are a joke.
                    As in, USA's are far better paid?

Comment

I'd go permie if I could be a company director, even of a small company, which I guess isn't really being a perm. That's the only reason I'd want to do it.

If I was forced into it, it'd have to be interesting work and a reasonable amount of freedom. I'd consider that more important than salary and perks. I have seen a few interesting looking permie jobs recently, much more interesting than anything I'd ever find as a contract, and it's a little tempting. But I'm not sure I can bring myself to devote my working life long term to somebody else's project.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X