• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A reminder of just how fortunate we are to have positioned ourselves as we have

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    ??
    no offence taken
    not sure if I understand the question but I will have a go.

I am not tied to this job, so my days and years are different. I own my own car and get a new one every two years. I own my own house with no mortgage, I am married and have loads of kids, I havnt lived with my parents for near 40 years. All my scars are battle scars.

I take loads of holidays, typically a four or five week adventure holiday a year doing exactly what I want to do. If the boss doesnt like me taking so long, he can fck off and eat a big fat one.

Thank God I am a contractor

OK, thanks for the reply.

Firstly what in Gods name does having kids have to do with being a contractor. That perhaps is a little off topic.

Secondly when did you buy your first house. What year. How much was it, and how much did you earn at the time??

Thirdly, I put it to you that you are able to take the holidays and the stance because you have profitted greatly from the last 20ish years of prosperity, and good on you for this, but a major part of your success was luck and circumstance.

However, now there is an entire generation of people who do not have the luxury of buying a cheap house, nor the gaurantee that it is a good investment either. They are in the s**t partly because of the choices previous governments have made on our behalf. I presume that your children will be part of that generation, or will be in the future.

So perhaps you should stop the self-congratulation and consider their plight, or is a matter of "scroo them I am alright jack". After all they will be looking after you in your imminent dotage.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post

So perhaps you should stop the self-congratulation and consider their plight, or is a matter of "scroo them I am alright jack". After all they will be looking after you in your imminent dotage.
      I'll laugh and mention all the money I made on property whilst they administer my medication.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I'll laugh and mention all the money I made on property whilst they administer my medication.

Is that the money you will have had to give to the government to keep you housed in the senility care home?

Unlucky

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

OK, thanks for the reply.

Firstly what in Gods name does having kids have to do with being a contractor. That perhaps is a little off topic.

Secondly when did you buy your first house. What year. How much was it, and how much did you earn at the time??

Thirdly, I put it to you that you are able to take the holidays and the stance because you have profitted greatly from the last 20ish years of prosperity, and good on you for this, but a major part of your success was luck and circumstance.

However, now there is an entire generation of people who do not have the luxury of buying a cheap house, nor the gaurantee that it is a good investment either. They are in the s**t partly because of the choices previous governments have made on our behalf. I presume that your children will be part of that generation, or will be in the future.

what have kids got to do with it ? well he lives with his mum and dad, no house no wife, no kids. Its a comparison. He wont consider getting married because he cant afford a place. Is that off topic ? not in my mind.

Secondly, when did i buy my 1st house ? Well I lived in a sh 1t hole in Bootle for 10 years as a permie, and saved like mad. Got a big boost with my first few contracts and bought a 'tin house' for 30k about 14 years ago.

Thirdly. You put it to me that I have been lucky. I dont need you to put that to me Backend. Thank God I am a contractor = arnt i the lucky one.

Fourthly, my children will be part of the future ? well I would hope so. and ??

lastly , self congratulation and consider their plight ? I say this to you backend - Thank God I am a contractor. That is not self congratulation, that is me holding my hand up to heaven and thanking my lucky stars. As far as considering my kids plight is concerned, I would suggest that you are unaware of approximately 50% of the situation.

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Is that the money you will have had to give to the government to keep you housed in the senility care home?

Unlucky
            Care homes in Swindon are very nice.....

Comment

EO,

'Thank God I am a contractor. That is not self congratulation, that is me holding my hand up to heaven and thanking my lucky stars.'

agreed 100%

luv your conertation Backend

lol

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                what have kids got to do with it ? well he lives with his mum and dad, no house no wife, no kids. Its a comparison. He wont consider getting married because he cant afford a place. Is that off topic ? not in my mind.

Secondly, when did i buy my 1st house ? Well I lived in a sh 1t hole in Bootle for 10 years as a permie, and saved like mad. Got a big boost with my first few contracts and bought a 'tin house' for 30k about 14 years ago.

Thirdly. You put it to me that I have been lucky. I dont need you to put that to me Backend. Thank God I am a contractor = arnt i the lucky one.

Fourthly, my children will be part of the future ? well I would hope so. and ??

lastly , self congratulation and consider their plight ? I say this to you backend - Thank God I am a contractor. That is not self congratulation, that is me holding my hand up to heaven and thanking my lucky stars. As far as considering my kids plight is concerned, I would suggest that you are unaware of approximately 50% of the situation.

The equivelant of 30k 14 years ago wouldn't buy you much now would it? And how much did you sell that for? If it was more and I am assuming it was. Why was that, was it the expert way you marketted the house, or something else on your part. No it was luck. Prices went up. Luck that simple. And that got you on your way. That is not a bad thing, I am not knocking you (or me for that matter) but it is perhaps not a reason backpats.

Today to buy a entry level home in some parts of the country costs around 150k. How long do you expect people to save? Maybe that is why they are at home, so that they can save?

Also why are you calling me backend. Is it just to be rude. No real call for that. I haven't been rude to you, quiet the opposite. Would you please extend me the same courtesy. Standards old boy.

Comment

It's just timing.

I graduated during the early 2k IT recession and it was hard to get a good job. Ended up working in helpdesk jobs for two and half years.

Was really depressing. Had no idea how I'd get out of it. Was this as good as work got? Was this it for the rest of my life?

I actually posted on here asking for career advice, with a long forgotten user account, I got roundly abused, told I was thick and that there wasn't much hope. Get back to changing those passwords. Ha ha.

Then the economy improved. Had one interview for a decent consultant job... and that was it. The proper career started.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
                    It's just timing.

I graduated during the early 2k IT recession and it was hard to get a good job. Ended up working in helpdesk jobs for two and half years.

Was really depressing. Had no idea how I'd get out of it. Was this as good as work got? Was this it for the rest of my life?

I actually posted on here asking for career advice, with a long forgotten user account, I got roundly abused, told I was thick and that there wasn't much hope. Get back to changing those passwords. Ha ha.

Then the economy improved. Had one interview for a decent consultant job... and that was it. The proper career started.
                    Abused on here, surely not. These people are mostly part-time samaritans

Comment

Abused on here, surely not. These people are mostly part-time samaritans
                      The rest of the time, we're making sure the samaritans are kept busy
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X