• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We'll Change Law On Killing Burglars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary View Post
    Tony Martin fan? Sounds like shooting a fleeing burglar in the back would still be illegal under this guy's proposal.
    Well, if you get burgled many times over then it seems reasonable to use deadly force if it happens again - it is a bit difficult to expect house owner (or renter) to run faster than burglar to shoot them in the front.

It's simple really - don't burgle or otherwise intrude uninvited into other people's house and you won't get hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      You can use legitimate self-defence
      With what exactly? Colourful language? There are no meant of self defence in this country apart from running away (or not going to known bad places), both of which don't apply when you are at your own home.

Intruders should expect to pay for their actions - with their own lifes if necessary.

Comment

I actually think that once some little scumbag has dared to set foot in your property uninvited you should be allowed to do whatever you want with them.
        You mean like that case a few years ago in the USA where some Korean student's on holiday car broke down, he went and knocked on someone doors to ask if he could use their phone to get a tow truck and got shot to death by the home owner "defending his property"? (and yes the DA decided not to prosecute as it was "legal")

Does the law need clarification? Sure it does but it's a fine line between defending yourself and/or your home and being a murderer/vigilante and it's very much something that should be judged on a case by case basis, otherwise you end up in a situation like the above where killing anyone on your property is "legal"

And in the case that has caused this latest debate, yes the homeowner was no longer "defending" home/family/himself, he was a vigilante out for payback, so conviction was justified. Only real miscarriage was the "victim" getting off with no sentence

Comment

My brother in law used to burgle houses, in fact he may still do so.
          About 30 years ago I bumped into him at the ex wifes place, he had two black eyes, a busted tooth, nose at 45 degrees, terrible limp. He had gotten into a house in Liverpool, high on drink and drugs and decided to have a kip. in the bath.

The housholder came in for a night time leak and it was baseball bats at three paces. (The brother in law couldnt understand how all the householders relatives got there so quickly)

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
            You mean like that case a few years ago in the USA where some Korean student's on holiday car broke down, he went and knocked on someone doors to ask if he could use their phone to get a tow truck and got shot to death by the home owner "defending his property"? (and yes the DA decided not to prosecute as it was "legal")
            That was terrible tradegy that can't be avoided. Just like those who die on roads due to cars - around 20000 in the USA every year I think.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              That was terrible tradegy that can't be avoided. Just like those who die on roads due to cars - around 20000 in the USA every year I think.
              It was a double tragedy , first the kid dying, then the stupid law that allowed the murderer to get away with it. The latter can and should be avoided

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                With what exactly? .
                Whatever's to hand. Fists, knives, cricket bats.

Not only are you a moron, but you seem really wimpy as well.
                Is there anything you can do well?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Whatever's to hand. Fists, knives, cricket bats.

Not only are you a moron, but you seem really wimpy as well.
                  Is there anything you can do well?
                  Stop being so unkind!

Season of goodwill and all that

Merry Christmas Sas
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

FFS.
                    The law is fine as it is. You can use legitimate self-defence, including killing the perp if necessary. What you can't do is kill them/batter them if they are running away.

HTH for the emotional, cretinous hard of thinking Daily Mail types on this forum.
                    Like it or not, it's the Daily Mail (and Sun) readers who will win the election (or not) for the Tories.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                      You can tell we are near an election... While I agree with them its nothing more than election time emotional bollox...
                      WHS

This comes round every time.
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X