• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Property: Always a good investment!!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property: Always a good investment!!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8468605.stm

"In today's money, a typical home would have cost about £43,000 in 1959"

So anyone saying don't buy property. History is very much against you over the long term...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

wow - for a piece of research, that's up there with 'the recession has affected peoples spending habits', that was in the paper a few weeks back.

How do people get research grants for this crap?
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
      wow - for a piece of research, that's up there with 'the recession has affected peoples spending habits', that was in the paper a few weeks back.

How do people get research grants for this crap?
      Aren't you surprised that the cost of a house has increased in real terms by 400% in 50 years??
      Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
        Aren't you surprised that the cost of a house has increased in real terms by 400% in 50 years??
        No I made a tulip load from BTL in just over 10 years.
        You've got to pick the right 10 years mind - 1996-2006 was quite good
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

so house price inflation has outstripped increases in annual earnings over time? No, I'm not surprised.

Although it's nice that Halifax are pointing out that the quality of the homes people can't afford are much better than they used to be...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            No I made a tulip load from BTL in just over 10 years.
            You've got to pick the right 10 years mind - 1996-2006 was quite good
            WHS.

1986 to 1996 was not as good.

I don't expect 2010 to 2020 to be much cop.

Comment

They probably took most of your working life to pay for, then and now, though. Houses also seem to be getting smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Let me guess - they did not have Liebor Govt in that period?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  WHS.

I don't expect 2010 to 2020 to be much cop.

Still recall my first property bought in 1995: a two bed Victorian garden property in London zone 3 - for, get this, £56K
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Still recall my first property bought in 1995: a two bed Victorian garden property in London zone 3 - for, get this, £56K
                    They gave it away for free after you left it.

Comment

Working...
                    X