• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

our economy is a wholly own subsidiary of the biosphere

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

our economy is a wholly own subsidiary of the biosphere

On radio 4 this morning a member of a think tank explained that we would need to stop basing progress on economic expansion and wealth creation as the planet would not sustain this.

John Humphries was very non-plussed.

I was just wondering how many CUKers threw their radios out of the car on hearing this......
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
    On radio 4 this morning a member of a think tank explained that we would need to stop basing progress on economic expansion and wealth creation as the planet would not sustain this.
    That doesn't apply to renewable resources like agriculture and Gordon's money tree.

Comment

I was just wondering how many CUKers threw their radios out of the car on hearing this......
      Some of the analogies and arguments the chappie used were awful. He likened economic expansion to a hamster. Because a hamster cannot double in size indefinately, we should stop expecting continous economic growth.
      Then he had a go at our kids shoes. When your kids grow, their feet get bigger, so they need new shoes. But there will be a time when the economy will grow and there will be no new bio-shoes for the planet

i think he was starting to ramble at that point

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        Some of the analogies and arguments the chappie used were awful. He likened economic expansion to a hamster. Because a hamster cannot double in size indefinately, we should stop expecting continous economic growth.
        Then he had a go at our kids shoes. When your kids grow, their feet get bigger, so they need new shoes. But there will be a time when the economy will grow and there will be no new bio-shoes for the planet

The hamster analogy was genious!

"If a hamster grew on economic premises it would be 9bn tonnes by its first birthday"

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

The hamster analogy was genious!

"If a hamster grew on economic premises it would be 9bn tonnes by its first birthday"

Are you sure it wasn't Chris Morris?

Comment

One ex Green Peace activist described Green Peace as "anti-human", which I felt is an apt description.

Green activists are what I fear most, forget Al Queda, Iran, these people are dangerous because now they have the ear of Obama. The chief scientific advisor is now prescribing Geo-Engineering to change the Earth to bring down the temperature of the planet. It is just complete madness. The more I read the more frightened I get about these people.

I used to think that CO2 did drive warming. Recently I've found out that the real scientific consensus is that the solar cycle, and the solar cycle alone drives the earth's climate, and there isn't really any doubt as most of the CO2 arguments have been debunked. Serious scientists openly use terms like nonsense, and hoax. You wouldn't hear language like that in any other scientific discipline. The upper atmosphere hasn't warmed at all (in contrast to the main plank of the CO2 warming theory) and historical records show co2 lagging temperature pretty consistently over hundreds of thousands of years. Thank God (literally), the solar cycle is 60 years, and the cycle turned in 2000, so forcing these so called "scientists" to openly fiddle the figures expose the fraud and prevent a real catastrophe, i.e. Geo Engineering, chopping down equatorial forests, and thrusting developing countries into the dark ages with "carbon trading".
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Sounds to me like they are saying there is more to life than money...

...which I would agree with personally.
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                Sounds to me like they are saying there is more to life than money...

...which I would agree with personally.
                Except his opening line was, we can't go on like this due to the effect on the climate

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Except his opening line was, we can't go on like this due to the effect on the climate

Is everyones catchphrase now 'we can't go on like this'?

Because if it is, we can't go on like this...
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

There seemed to be a lot of crap talked on the radio this morning, which was unfortunate as I spent most of it stuck in traffic.
                    I love how he used the analogy of the hamster, totally made a mockery of everything he was saying

Was this the same chap who seemed to think that people running companies shouldn't be paid millions of pounds but Cheryl Cole should?

Womans hour had a discussion about schools.. for some reason one of the commentators kept mentioning the new Apple Tablet. It had absolutely no bearing to the conversation and just left me thinking "YOU'RE AN IDIOT"
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X