• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK average tax rate for contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK average tax rate for contractor

What's the average tax rate in the UK for a contractor, if you say earn 100K pa before tax and do the limited company stuff...?

Obviously each persons will be different but i'm just after a ball park figure for what I could expect if I started contracting in London again.

Are we talking 30% effective rate over the year, if you stay within the law?

Simple answer is to use a calculator to work out likely scenarios.

See the CUK Navigation panel for more details.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

The tax rate for contractors is whatever the government deem to be 'fair'. If its any different they will change the law retrospectively to make sure you pay your 'fair' share!
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
        What's the average tax rate in the UK for a contractor, if you say earn 100K pa before tax and do the limited company stuff...?

Obviously each persons will be different but i'm just after a ball park figure for what I could expect if I started contracting in London again.

Are we talking 30% effective rate over the year, if you stay within the law?
        £100 000
        Less allowable expenses £2500
        = £97500
        Less Employers National Insurance. £8000
        Less Employees National Insurance. £10000
        Less Income Tax 35000
        Less business rates £22000
        Less council tax £3200

£19,300
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I'm sure I've seen umbrella schemes with dispensations from the Inland Revenue to let you off some of the tax you might owe and allow you to keep 80% plus for yourself.
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
            I'm sure I've seen umbrella schemes with dispensations from the Inland Revenue to let you off some of the tax you might owe and allow you to keep 80% plus for yourself.
            Yes, and those ones in the IOM that let you keep 96%
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
            X