Iran, should we invade? Iran, should we invade? - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 86

Godlike

chef is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by doodab View Post
    Well, they can launch satellites so in theory they can deliver a warhead anywhere on the planet.
    err apart from the fact that at the moment Iran can only enrich Uranium to around 3-5% whereas they would need to enrich it to around 95% for a Nuclear warhead..
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Super poster

ratewhore has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    You wouldn't need to occupy the whole country, just invade and hold areas where they have built underground facilities, destroy these with five kiloton nukes (detonated underground, to avoid fallout), and then withdraw. Job done.
    I still refer you to my first point. We'll be lucky enough to have enough manpower for a UK defence force post next strategic defence review...

The post re the Israelis is probably more realistic...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Contractor 'til I die

doodab 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    And anyone who says they can't will be found "having commited suicide" in a forest with no blood in the vicinity...
    Anyone who says they can't is more likely to be found standing on the sidelines being ignored.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7499601.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8494894.stm

They have an army over half a million strong and in addition to missiles are capable of producing their own guns, tanks and aircraft. They also have a lot of reasonably modern imported hardware including last generation western aircraft (F-14) and bang up to date russian planes and missiles.

A war with the Iranians would be a very different kettle of fish to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Contractor 'til I die

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    err apart from the fact that at the moment Iran can only enrich Uranium to around 3-5% whereas they would need to enrich it to around 95% for a Nuclear warhead..
    Assuming they were to develop a warhead, it could probably be delivered.

While it's apparently the case that they cannot produce weapons grade uranium, it's not inconceivable that they may have obtained some from elsewhere, or that they could make plutonium using the stuff they already have, although I understand that would be fairly easily detected.

Godlike

Paddy is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by doodab View Post
    Assuming they were to develop a warhead, it could probably be delivered.

While it's apparently the case that they cannot produce weapons grade uranium, it's not inconceivable that they may have obtained some from elsewhere, or that they could make plutonium using the stuff they already have, although I understand that would be fairly easily detected.
    So they maybe concealing WMD. That’s an original excuse to attack them.

Brexiteers remind me of religious fanatics, only faith, no facts.

Contractor 'til I die

Quote Originally Posted by zeitghost View Post
    Considering the size of most first generation nukes, it'd better be a Saturn V.
    I think it's silly to assume they would be building a "first generation nuke" when there are well established superior technologies.

Contractor 'til I die

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    So they maybe concealing WMD. That’s an original excuse to attack them.

I'm not suggesting we should attack them, or look for excuses to do so. I'm simply pointing out that Iran having nuclear weapons isn't nearly as far fetched as some people seem to think.

Personally, I think we should avoid a war with them. Even if they are trying to build nuclear weapons.

Nice But Dim

DaveB is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    From what I understand 20% is something of a threashold in the enrichment process. Once you can get to 20% reliably it becomes much easier to increase yields beyond that.

Technically it is possible to create a bomb from 20% enriched Unranium but it would be very low yield and impractical due to it's size.

However, 20% Uranium wrapped around a conventional warhead would make for a very effective "Dirty" bomb.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Double Godlike!

Moscow Mule is too good to be a permie

Either we bomb them back to the stone age (preferably with stand-off weapons) to make an example of them or we leave them the hell alone.

Invading Iran with actual troops is a very bad idea.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Super poster

NorthWestPerm2Contr 's job has never been outsourced

Go ahead you war mongering Bush worshipers. I'd like to see you try and take on Iran. Most Iraqi's welcomed the west in but look at what happened to them. Afghanis were less welcoming and look at whats happening to UK/US troops there. If you want Iraq/Afghanistan to look like a walk in the park try out the Iranians - the most intensely nationalistic die hards out there. Watch them get their buddies in Lebanon reap havoc in Israel with all kinds of missiles and rockets and then who knows what will happen in the region? Oil prices at £150/barrel will seem like the good old days and public transport the only option.

Fools