• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The train to London trip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The train to London trip

So I had a reasonably good trip to London via train so here are the highlights:
    • stayed in the Hilton which cost us GBP227.00 for 2 nights without breakfast which was an extra 15 quid a day. The room was smaller than my bathroom, honestly it was cramped with 2 people in it and just getting dressed was a problem. The TV had 5 channels, none foreign so tourists probably aren't too impressed. Crappy old airconditioning/heating unit, shabby room and a not very clean bathroom. A pint and a gin and tonic was GBP10.95 in the bar as they put a 12.5% service charge on! Also, it was facing the main road when specifically requested not too. (For example I stayed in the one in Bonn which provided car parking, a large room with flatscreen TV, bathrobes and slippers, a balcony with tables and chairs over looking the Rhein and breakfast included for the same price. Even the Ibis where I'm writing this is better in various areas and half the price)
    • tube costs 4 quid in one zone whether you go one zone or the whole stretch, surely they should do some kind of special rate depending upon amount of stops, particularly for zone 1. Unbelievable
    • went to Bar Soho where I was pleasantly surprised that I only paid GBP2.80 for a pint and a water but then realised it was happy hour. Left after one drink as I seemed to be the oldest person there and the music was crap. Afterwards we found a nice real ale pub just off of Bond Street which weren't too bad
    • went to Veeraswamy for a meal. Bit of a rip-off really. Firstly when booking the table they told us that if we cancelled before 17:30 then the credit card would be charged GBP30 but seeing as we were booking at 17:15 for a meal at 22:30 that wasn't likely to happen as was pointed out to the rather rude person at the other end of the phone. It was a get you in, get you out as quick as possible place even though it was half empty. It was also bloody expensive with most main courses around the 22 quid mark and a bowl (very small bowl at that) of boiled rice was GBP3.50. The food was also not particularly fantastic, in fact mine tasted like something I cook after the pub which means I'm either a top notch Indian chef or they're crap. A miss...
    • went to the North Sea Fish Restaurant, a little bit expensive but the best fish and chips I've had since I was in Finland. A couple of friends had the seafood platter which is quite possibly the biggest plate of fish I've ever seen (I helped them finish it off)
    • watched the Rugby in a couple of different pubs and had a good time with the locals there. Ireland game was bit crap and the England one wasn't exhilarating but they both won...
    • think I only talked to one English person in a service job
    • the train is much less stressful than the plane
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

We all think London's full of obnoxious people and a rip off too.
    think I only talked to one English person in a service job
    So who else is going to move there and work in service jobs?

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      It was fantastic, stay in the city and leave the horribly peaceful countryside with it's pitiful gastropubs and awful smelling fresh air to us northerners.
      If you lot all moved out of the city and into the rest of the country we'd be forced to enjoy cramped public transport to go to a delightfully overpriced restaurant and hoping that we get stabbed just to give the night an extra special highlight
      FTFY
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

£100-£150 hotel anywhere outside London will seem like paradise compared to what's on offer in the city.

Hotel's in this country (Scotland too) are generally so out of touch with modern requirements.

Was recently charged £135 for one night at the best western in Bedford, what a sh$£%@£T hole. I almost felt like calling the police for theft.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

London is ****ed. There is sod all British about the place anymore. Avoid it like the plague for all those reasons and more....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Was recently charged £135 for one night at the best western in Bedford, what a sh$£%@£T hole. I almost felt like calling the police for theft.
            How late did you leave the booking?
            I generally use holiday inn, very rarely paid more than £80 per night inc. breakfast and thats booking on the same day
            (And I know what I'm getting with Holiday Inn)

However, last time I stayed at the Holiday Inn express at Stansted, the rack rate was over £300! I'd booked less than 24 hours in advance online and got it for under £100 with breakfast
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              • stayed in the Hilton which cost us GBP227.00 for 2 nights without breakfast which was an extra 15 quid a day. The room was smaller than my bathroom, honestly it was cramped with 2 people in it and just getting dressed was a problem. The TV had 5 channels, none foreign so tourists probably aren't too impressed. Crappy old airconditioning/heating unit, shabby room and a not very clean bathroom. A pint and a gin and tonic was GBP10.95 in the bar as they put a 12.5% service charge on! Also, it was facing the main road when specifically requested not too. (For example I stayed in the one in Bonn which provided car parking, a large room with flatscreen TV, bathrobes and slippers, a balcony with tables and chairs over looking the Rhein and breakfast included for the same price. Even the Ibis where I'm writing this is better in various areas and half the price)
              • tube costs 4 quid in one zone whether you go one zone or the whole stretch, surely they should do some kind of special rate depending upon amount of stops, particularly for zone 1. Unbelievable
              • went to Bar Soho where I was pleasantly surprised that I only paid GBP2.80 for a pint and a water but then realised it was happy hour. Left after one drink as I seemed to be the oldest person there and the music was crap. Afterwards we found a nice real ale pub just off of Bond Street which weren't too bad
              • went to Veeraswamy for a meal. Bit of a rip-off really. Firstly when booking the table they told us that if we cancelled before 17:30 then the credit card would be charged GBP30 but seeing as we were booking at 17:15 for a meal at 22:30 that wasn't likely to happen as was pointed out to the rather rude person at the other end of the phone. It was a get you in, get you out as quick as possible place even though it was half empty. It was also bloody expensive with most main courses around the 22 quid mark and a bowl (very small bowl at that) of boiled rice was GBP3.50. The food was also not particularly fantastic, in fact mine tasted like something I cook after the pub which means I'm either a top notch Indian chef or they're crap. A miss...
              • went to the North Sea Fish Restaurant, a little bit expensive but the best fish and chips I've had since I was in Finland. A couple of friends had the seafood platter which is quite possibly the biggest plate of fish I've ever seen (I helped them finish it off)
              • watched the Rugby in a couple of different pubs and had a good time with the locals there. Ireland game was bit crap and the England one wasn't exhilarating but they both won...
              • think I only talked to one English person in a service job
              • the train is much less stressful than the plane
              The London Hilton or one of those other Hiltons?
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

•stayed in the Hilton which cost us GBP227.00 for 2 nights
                which 'Hilton' was that then?
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  £100-£150 hotel anywhere outside London will seem like paradise compared to what's on offer in the city.

Hotel's in this country (Scotland too) are generally so out of touch with modern requirements.

Bedford is a sh$£%@£T hole, so nothing new there!
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    which 'Hilton' was that then?
                    This one
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X