• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The joys of chasing payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The joys of chasing payment

A client that has been avoiding my calls relating to an invoice issued almost 18 months ago accidentally picked up my call this morning. He must have realised his mistake at the last minute - this is how he answered the call after a brief pause:

"Hello, this is <firstname> <lastname>, please leave a message after the tone."

Seriously, the lengths people go to to avoid paying a small invoice.

Any suggestions?

Phone from a different number.

Comment

After 18 months I'd write it off unless it is a fairly large invoice.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
        After 18 months I'd write it off unless it is a fairly large invoice.
        I will buy them off you if you wish.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
          Any suggestions?
          Small claims court, costs virtually nothing to submit your case. If they can't be bothered to defend it, they lose:

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Small claims court, costs virtually nothing to submit your case. If they can't be bothered to defend it, they lose:

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp
            Does this apply to a limited company claiming from a limited company though? I thought it was for individuals against individuals or individuals against companies only?

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
              Does this apply to a limited company claiming from a limited company though? I thought it was for individuals against individuals or individuals against companies only?

Money Claim Online can be used by:

Individuals
              Solicitors
              Government Departments
              Businesses

who wish to issue a:

Claim (fixed amount of money)
              Judgment
              Warrant
              Might I politely suggest that you explore the site and have a look?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Might I politely suggest that you explore the site and have a look?
                Thank you for your polite suggestion - I shall do.

Comment

Assuming it's worth chasing:

Send them another invoice with the original amount plus the statuatory interest, and attach a letter informing them that you expect to be paid or you will pursue it further.

http://www.payontime.co.uk/legislati...tion_main.html

has details of the interest you can charge.

I've never had to go this far myself but I believe the next step is to serve a "Statuatory Demand" which gives them a certain period in which to pay, or to sue and get a court order which you can then enforce with Baliffs. If they still refuse or are unable to pay after that you can petition to have the company wound up.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

If I remember right, you can charge interest of 8% over the base lending rate for the time that the payment is overdue. I made several hundred pounds out of that once. And they mistakenly paid the interest twice. I didn't tell them, but if they ask for it back they can have it.

Edit: that was via the Small Claims Court. Cost me nothing in the end, I charged them for that as well. And I got back about £15k.

Comment

Working...
                    X