• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leather Jacket on interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have actually been interviewed in jeans and a t-shirt, although that was because someone already working there advised me it was acceptable. It was also the only place I have ever sat a technical test. I got the job, even though I answered "I fart a lot" to one of the (non-technical) questions.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Im 31, for interviews I ALWAYS wear my smartest outfit as I feel it gives me confidence, this involves:

tailor made crisp white shirt
      simple single bar silver cufflinks
      tailor made grey/brown suit (clever material that seems to change colour depending on what shirt/tie combo you wear)
      plain chocolate brown tie
      dark brown suit belt
      brown pair of Churches shoes
      charcoal grey overcoat if cold
      simple slimline suit watch

My thoughts are, dress to impress for the interview, once you've got the gig you can see what fits in with the environment you're in and how others dress (i.e right now im wearing dark blues jeans, thick woolly jumper and boots)
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

From an email I received confirming an interview at a global corporation:

Definitely don't bother looking for that suit. We won't be wearing one and it might make you look a bit out of place :)

Of course, it depends on the client

Comment

Working for Logica in Didsbury I was once told to 'lose the suit' as the dress was very casual.

Wasnt a problem for me.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I got a gig doing some work for a consultancy based on a phone interview + personal recommendation, turned up suited and booted on day one and I was taken aside by the PM and told:

"Don't come in dressed like that again, it scares the clients"
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

As the chef said.

Dress well, feel confident, look like you're taking the interview seriously.

Ties maybe a pointless convention but not wearing one looks like you're making a statement IMVHO.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Dark blue suit white shirt combo is the least likely to offend in business.
                Agents are funny ... I was had an agent tell me I must not wear a red tie. So I wore a red tie. I got the gig.

Always go smart in a suit, shirt and tie. Simple.

I've interviewed people who turn up in Matrix style leather jackets. I never give them the job.

J

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Working for Logica in Didsbury I was once told to 'lose the suit' as the dress was very casual.

Wasnt a problem for me.
                  Working in Norway the suit is out the window, sandals and jeans are in.

I try to keep aware of cultural tendencies when thinking about dress code, London is suit. Germany, don't bother - France, appearance is everything.

A good contractor will know how to gauge the needs. In some cases wearing a suit where no one else does feels awkward.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Working in Norway the suit is out the window, sandals and jeans are in.

I try to keep aware of cultural tendencies when thinking about dress code, London is suit. Germany, don't bother - France, appearance is everything.

A good contractor will know how to gauge the needs. In some cases wearing a suit where no one else does feels awkward.
                    It's easy to ditch a tie & jacket if required. Asking if anyone has a spare as they call you in to the boardroom is not so simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                      As the chef said.

Dress well, feel confident, look like you're taking the interview seriously.

Ties maybe a pointless convention but not wearing one looks like you're making a statement IMVHO.
                      I'm Richard Branson all the way on this one. I've not worn a tie for the last 5 years, and feel a lot more confident without it.

It's a horrible bacterial collecting cloth for spreading germs.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X