• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O Proper London !

Dull would he truly be of soul who did not prefer its faded splendours, its new hesitancies, to the hot certainties of that transatlantic New Rome with its Nazified architectural gigantism , which employed the impressions of size to make its human occupants feel like worms.

London, in spite of an increase of excresences like Nat West tower, a corporate logo extruded into the third dimension, preserved the human scale.

When shes up at Leicester Square
    She dont wear no underwear

S Rushdie The Satanic Verses
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 23 December 2005, 10:27.

Comment

who give a ****

The choice of food is fantastic - every town in England has got curries and thai places but not many have got such a huge array of Moroccan, Brazilian, Swedish, Russian and Caribbean restaurants

who gives a ****.

my time in london was spent shaggin, drinking, going to strip clubs and turning up uninvited at peoples parties and rolling around the floor naked.

im approachign 30 now and have seen the light, moved up north and got a public sector job improving peoples lives.

london is great in your 20's.
      Last edited by el duder; 23 December 2005, 10:39.

Comment

London rocks

Great while your 20/30 something - Would't want to grow old or bring up kids here thought, unless I had had serious money...

Comment

London became vaugue, amorphous.
          Pilgrimage, poet, prophet merge, fades into mists, emerge.

Dr Faustaus sacrificed eternity in return for dozen years of power, the poet agrees to the ruination of his life, and gains , if he is lucky, not eternity but maybe posterity at least.

Either way, its the Devil who wins.

What does a poet write ?

Verses.

What jingle jangles his brain?

Verses.

What broke his heart ?

Verses Verses Verses ...

The city sends him messages, he meanders one night behind the cathedrals of the Industrial revolution the raliway termini of North London, anonymous Kings Cross , the bat like meance of St Pancras tower, the red and black gas holders inflating like giant iron lings.

Where once in battle Queen Bodeicia fell,Gibreel Farishta wrestles with hmself.

But this is not Proper London, Airstrip One, wandering through the confusion of languages, Babel, a contraction of the Assyrian babilu, The Gate of God, Babylondon.

The Angel Azraell readys his trumpet, the Final Fire, falling Fire,

This is the judgement of God in his wrath, that men be granted their hearts desires and that they be by consumed.

Picking up his trumpet Azraell knows the Time has come

To hell with it all, the whole sorry mess, just puff up my cheeks and rooty toot toot.

Come on , its party time

Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 23 December 2005, 10:46.

Comment

People who don't like London are slow-witted, dull, straw-chewing, carrot-munching Northern poofters, mainly.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
              >the Harpenden bimbos that look like footballers wives

They probably are footballers wives. I've got plenty of friends in and around Harpenden & Redbourn and there are apparently several well known players who live nearby.
              I agree about Harpenden though, it looks a great place but there's a menacing atmosphere in some of the pubs of a Friday night...
              Speaking of which I was at Canary Wharf doing some last minute xmas shopping when these little pakis were getting all excited about some guy in "Game". I asked one of the little greasy monkeys who the guy was and he said "its Ashley Cole innit" which I just gorked at him with a vacant look and he said "you know yeah, Ashley Cole yeah like" but still I persisted with the vacant look

Apparently there are several poof ball players now living in Canary Wharf...bringing the whole tone of the place down with their very presence!

Mailman

Comment

When you are tired of London, you are tired of life

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Comment

Is he to be the agent of Gods Love,or vengeance ?

Should he take the Fatal Trumpet from his pocket and blow?

Wrestling though many stories he proceeds, searching for clues he walks the streets of London.

Somewhere he sees a television set though an evening window, there is a womans head being interviewed by an equally famous , twinkling Irish host.

What would be the worst thing you could imagine ?

Oh I think , Im sure it would be to be alone on Christmas Eve.

Yould really have to look into a harsh mirror and ask yourself, is this all there is ?

Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 23 December 2005, 11:03.

Comment

>bringing the whole tone of the place down

How the hell do you "bring down the tone" of Canary Wharf? And btw it's football you illiterate peasant.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                      Apparently there are several poof ball players now living in Canary Wharf...bringing the whole tone of the place down with their very presence!

Mailman
                      Is that the same poofball that is the only sport Australia were any good at this year?

Or are you a kiwi?

Comment

Working...
                      X