• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So how old do you have to be to be a Contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just voted for: "51 - 65 Years - Retirement Coming" and I seem to be the only one -

Comment

Pleased to see that two more oldies have voted on the poll.
      Last edited by castoff101; 20 February 2010, 18:08.

Comment

Sad. I'm not in the youngest (sensible) bracket. Old at 28
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I remember being told that I was too old at 35 by some recruitment agency. Still in contract at 52 - and hanging on .... just...

Comment

Well according to this poll. Using a not wholly scientific straight line distribution between options.

The average of contractors is now 40 years old!!!!

Godamn it! I'm average!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

started at 24,

at 28, plan B has become plan A, so hoping i don't have to go back to contracting!

Comment

Originally posted by castoff101 View Post
                I remember being told that I was too old at 35 by some recruitment agency. Still in contract at 52 - and hanging on .... just...
                Hope you told them where to go.
                I have colleagues contracting well into their 50's and the gigs are still there for them, despite outsourcing.

I remember being around 22 talking to a female colleague who was 31.She was worried about her career options as she thought time was running out. Some people have such mentality. I'm now older than she was then and think the best is yet to come.....if I can keep the occassional fear of boredom at bay

Comment

I spent one contract a few years back being a good 15-20 years younger than everybody else.

It was like Last of the Summer Wine.

Now I am the grumpy old git.

Comment

Mid thirties for me.

Oldest contractor on site is 68. It's not a huge risk though as his backup is only 66.

Comment

27 years!!

Started contracting in 83, began by moving half a dozen VAX3's across the office, think they were linked to an Argus 400, that was the first intro to IT. not done very much since, its been stop,go,stop,go, and here we are now, again in a slowdown, still optimistic, well you can't give in can you?

Comment

Working...
                      X