• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solar panels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar panels

Hi all

Has anyone here got solar panels? How much did you pay?

I think my elderly mother's been fleeced on them.

Let me know please guys

thanks
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Also, what are the statutory rights to cancel?

Thanks
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
      Hi all

Has anyone here got solar panels? How much did you pay?

I think my elderly mother's been fleeced on them.

Let me know please guys

thanks
      Ive looked at it.normally comes in at about 15k. Takes 30 years to pay for itself. Decide on that basis if she's been fleeced
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

thanks mf. Well the figure's in that ballpark, but I've persuaded her to cancal the cheque and send cancellation Recorded delivery to the company. Shysters.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Sorry the 30 year thing was until recently.

At the end of the day I think it's not a bad idea.

There is a new initiative http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/art...e-tenfold.html which has been in the press recently.
          Guy doing it here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...html?t=1838505

Basically, you can start to sell back to the Grid as well as reduce your output.

Also a grant is available.

Effectively, I've seen 7% per annum bandied about as the return(APR) on such a project. I've been interested in putting something together around Solar Panels and to be honest it has been in my list of Plan B's for sometime.

Personally, I would do a little more research before getting your mum to cancel. For all you know, she may just be the trendiest one on the street!

Comment

£15k into solar panels in UKs climate?

IMO it's better to wait 2-3 years for solar market to deliver stuff that won't be obsolete next year.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              £15k into solar panels in UKs climate?

IMO it's better to wait 2-3 years for solar market to deliver stuff that won't be obsolete next year.
              Newer solar panels will generate heat and electricity in any weather. A little like your ability to start an argument in an empty room AtW!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Newer solar panels will generate heat and electricity in any weather.
                Yes, they will. In fact if I remember correctly solar panel on my micro calculator back in early 90s was also working in any weather. Problem was that it did not generate enough power to run it in all conditions

Dropping 15 grand on solar panels is crazy - better invest into house insulation, not sexy but it works and much lower risks of it stopping working in 5 years with manufacturer of solar panels out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                  Also, what are the statutory rights to cancel?

Thanks
                  I'm not sure of the circumstances in which your mother made the purchase. If it came about as a result of a salesman visit, she's well within her rights to cancel, even if she arranged the visit herself rather than responding to a sales call. See link below for more info:

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/bef...orstep-selling

Thankfully the doorstep selling regs have swung more in favour of the customer in recent times - one of the Labour Government's more worthwhile changes!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Newer solar panels will generate heat and electricity in any weather. A little like your ability to start an argument in an empty room AtW!
                    Indeed. Far be it from any of us to ever contradict AtWat with facts, but there is a lot of development in solar cell technology and my advice having looked into it at great length would be to wait a couple of years (no good for the OP of course).

They've been around for a few years now, but infra-red solar cells look exciting. I've seen one a few months ago, and it is similar to tin foil. Efficiencies of around 65% instead of the 35-40% you can get from the current generation.

Something to keep an eye on methinks...
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                    X