• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has it all calmed down now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I thought it was an impossibility but you make the sockie Wilmslow sound interesting.
    he'smyhero

damn space bar . . .
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      he'smyhero

damn space bar . . .
      You're the forum bully aren't you? You bully people by boring them tulipless.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Please improve the signal/noise ratio, specifically in General.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          BB is another troll. He keeps recycling stuff we've discussed and killed a long time ago. He must really be bored in his contract.
          Concentrate on opening that flask of soup your carer gave you. We don't want you covering yourself in hot creamy liquid. Not before lights out anyway young man
          Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
            SY - please improve your personal signal/noise ratio, specifically in General.
            Are you posting this as a mod or other poster?

Also, can you please elaborate as I haven't the foggiest idea what you mean?

Comment

Also, can you please elaborate as I haven't the foggiest idea what you mean?
              If that's true, you're even more cretinous than I supposed.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal-to-noise_ratio

Comment

Signal-to-noise ratio (often abbreviated SNR or S/N) is a measure used in science and engineering
                  Last time I checked this was a forum for IT contractors. Can you answer both my questions please? Chucking a random link in does not help me.

Comment

Last time I checked this was a forum for IT contractors. Can you answer both my questions please? Chucking a random link in does not help me.
                    "Signal" is the important part of the message. "Noise" is the hiss, or scratches, or blotches or missing bits that prevent you hearing / seeing the message.

A poor signal to noise ratio means it is hard to get the message from amongst the noise.

It was a common expression on UseNet, possibly a hang-over from the keen HAM participants in the earlier days but more likely due to the military participants in the earliest days.

Edit: (I forgot this bit) It is used as a way of saying "this is off topic".

Ahem, mods, please now move this thread to Technical.
                    Last edited by RichardCranium; 17 March 2010, 13:31.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

If you had bothered to read a little more from the link:

"Signal-to-noise ratio" is sometimes used informally to refer to the ratio of useful information to false or irrelevant data in a conversation or exchange. For example, in online discussion forums and other online communities, off-topic posts and spam are regarded as "noise" that interferes with the "signal" of appropriate discussion."

Understand now?
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X