• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Halifax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I had that all the time when I was in Yorkshire. There was me trekking down South every week and a load of Londoners were doing the same for jobs on my doorstep. In an ideal world we could have swapped jobs.
    Very true, I live under 5 miles from 4 main Halifax offices (including Copley and HQ) and I've not worked there since 2000 when I finished 3 years at various sites in Halifax and Leeds.

Mind you I've not had a great urge to work there.

Comment

I would be a bit perplexed by a job offer with the Halifax. When I was banking with them they really screwed me around. I don't think I could work for them even if the money was good.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        I would be a bit perplexed by a job offer with the Halifax. When I was banking with them they really screwed me around. I don't think I could work for them even if the money was good.
        Yeah, I'd much rather forego 5+grand a month because of that in this market!
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

I'm working indirectly for HMRC. Nuff said.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            Only 5K? They're hardly bribing you are they! I think they make more than that just in overdraft charges every hour.
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
              Only 5K? They're hardly bribing you are they! I think they make more than that just in overdraft charges every hour.
              I think BB's point is - it's a gig!
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
                Be careful sometimes there may be foul play i.e. there may be a dispute between two agents claiming that they represent you and HR in all their infinate wisdom have decided to block you for not wanting the hasstle of sorting out a favourite between the two fueding parties - you never know.

Rule #1 : Ask the agent who sent your CV down for the role, written e-mail confirmation that he did in fact sent it down for that paticular role.

Rule #2: If the agent ignores you or gives you the run around it probably means that he hasn't sent you, either get a different agent to check whether it has been sent down or contact HR - what have you got to lose ?
                I think that this has happened to me,

I'm trying with an agent I know, I'll tell her what's happened and we'll see if she can get me in (I don't have a sole-agency agreement with the other git).
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  I think BB's point is - it's a gig!
                  Hey, I work for the co-op! Then, they've always been good to me and my wife.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    Spoke to an agent this morning about a role there that, on paper, I was a dead cert for - had all the skills, in the right region rate wise only to be told that I was not being selected for an interview. Is there some secret method of getting in at the Halifax? 20 quid stapled to your CV or something? So instead of doing a job 20 mins from home I'll continue to treck out to frigging Geneva each week.
                    Various reasons - take your pick!

- Agent bod likes your rival (wants to bed / best friend or "family")

- Agent bods prefer to "non-place" experienced people - brings then down "a peg or 2" - There's no loss really - they know too much and want too much mullah- Agent knows it hurts and secretly laughs as you're blackballed while alternative candidate pays for skiing holiday.

- Someone else gets it because they've just done the skill set - whereas you did it last year (so doesn't count).

- Not the right age profile (TRAP) - Generation problems with subordinates or superiors

- Too close to client (agent knows you will try direct or perm)

- Asking too much

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      I think that this has happened to me,

I'm trying with an agent I know, I'll tell her what's happened and we'll see if she can get me in (I don't have a sole-agency agreement with the other git).
                      HBOS did have a reputation for binning your application if submitted by 2 agents. Happened to me once but they were different jobs with different job refs.

The tulip hit the fan when the first agent demanded to know what I was doing! Applying for jobs I said. 'Yeah but you've been submitted for the same job twice' they said.

No I hadnt I retorted and asked them to confirm the job ref they gave me which they did. So I quoted a completely different job ref the second agent gave me.

Eventually, the second agent withdrew their application for me and sent a grovelling explanation about the situation. I suspect either the first agent also withdrew me without telling me or HBOS binned my app altogether.

However, because the first agent who contacted me about these HBOS roles over 2 weeks ago hadnt heard anything, another agent contacted me about Lloyds jobs. Turns out these are in fact Halifax roles too also based in Halifax (unsurprisingly!).

Agent sent me a Lloyds \ HBOS form to complete which states on the bottom

'The candidate CV will not be forwarded to any other Lloyds Banking Group roles, via Group Change Management for a period of three days. Thereafter, if Group Change Management has received no feedback, the candidate may be considered for other roles.'

So it seems as if you are no longer automatically binned for making more than one application via different agents where the jobs are different.
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X