• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professor Phil Jones exonerated.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professor Phil Jones exonerated.

The report of the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee into 'ClimateGate' is here.

From the summary :-

The disclosure of climate data from the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) at the University of East Anglia (UEA) in November 2009 had the potential to damage the reputation of the climate science and the scientists involved.

We believe that the focus on CRU and Professor Phil Jones, Director of CRU, in particular, has largely been misplaced. Whilst we are concerned that the disclosed e-mails suggest a blunt refusal to share scientific data and methodologies with others, we can sympathise with Professor Jones, who must have found it frustrating to handle requests for data that he knew—or perceived—were motivated by a desire simply to undermine his work.

In the context of the sharing of data and methodologies, we consider that Professor Jones’s actions were in line with common practice in the climate science community. It is not standard practice in climate science to publish the raw data and the computer code in academic papers. However, climate science is a matter of great importance and the quality of the science should be irreproachable. We therefore consider that climate scientists should take steps to make available all the data that support their work (including raw data) and full methodological workings (including the computer codes). Had both been available, many of the problems at UEA could have been avoided.

We are content that the phrases such as “trick” or “hiding the decline” were colloquial terms used in private e-mails and the balance of evidence is that they were not part of a systematic attempt to mislead. Likewise the evidence that we have seen does not suggest that Professor Jones was trying to subvert the peer review process.

The Committee chairman said

We do believe that Prof Jones has in many ways been scapegoated as a result of what really was a frustration on his part that people were asking for information purely to undermine his research.

Willis said that while the committee recognised Jones's frustration, this was "no excuse" for not responding properly to FOI requests. "It is important in terms of scientific endeavour that that material is made available," said Willis. He added that the committee accepted that Jones had released all the data that he was able to.

While the Times has

The climate scientist at the centre of the row over stolen e-mails has no case to answer and should be reinstated, a crossparty group of MPs says

Pretty much 'Not Guilty' on all charges, it would seem. With the exoneration of Professor Mann by Penn State , and the clearing of Dr Pachauri by KPMG, the internet is going to be swamped over the next few days by the sheer volume of apologies from those who shouted 'fraud' and 'coverup'.

:
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Pretty much 'Not Guilty' on all charges, it would seem. With the exoneration of Professor Mann by Penn State , and the clearing of Dr Pachauri by KPMG, the internet is going to be swamped over the next few days by the sheer volume of apologies from those who shouted 'fraud' and 'coverup'.
    World governments who are peddling the tax-raising abilties of the AGW myth clear their leading puppets of any wrongdoing? Of course they do!

Colour me surprised.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

The arctic ice extent still growing I see:

http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/icecover.uk.php

An extra million square km's compared to 2006.

hmm....

climate change is scary but this is scarier

http://www.examiner.com/x-32936-Semi...off-the-lights
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 31 March 2010, 08:08.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

So the tentacles of this World Government extend into KPMG and the academic faculty at Penn State University huh?

Tell me, when you walk down the High Street, is everyone talking about you?

Comment

The arctic ice extent still growing I see

Yes. It happens every winter. Long term though .... http://nsidc.org/images/arcticseaice...03_Figure3.png

Comment

I'm starting to suspect that you're on a forum holiday from a climate change board
            out of 106 posts you've made only 22 are not climate change related
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              I'm starting to suspect that you're on a forum holiday from a climate change board
              I think AtW is on a forum holiday from a drivel board. Out of 18496 posts, only 25 have been non-drivel.
              If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Maybe he's just dull as flip.

Comment

I am mildly obsessive, arguably.

But then, you took the trouble to count them ....!

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                    I am mildly obsessive, arguably.

But then, you took the trouble to count them ....!
                    counting to 22 is suprisingly easy
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X