• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Constantly failing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constantly failing

The development team are constantly failing to deliver. The project manager is failing to sort it out and has been since I started.

As the BA I have no faith in them whatsoever now, this morning was the final straw. The developers have raised an issue with inherited code (code that they inherited back in August and have consistently failed to get working). They say it needs a full rewrite. This the day before code freeze

I just feel like I tell the business things are going to be ok, things will pick up, we are working hard to resolve these issues, and get them back on side and then we fail. Again. It's not like we know well in advance either. These things always come out at the last minute.

Grateful for being able to invoice, but really not enjoying this role any more.

Need them to get a decent PM in who can get the development team firing on all cylinders, but while he seems to have used all his 9 lives he still remains.

The most recent revelation I asked him to confirm in an email. Chased him all morning for this email, yet in the end now BOTH his laptops are not working so cannot send emails. Yet his skype status is logged in

I post this expecting the usual flaming, but nothing more, ok? At least this is on topic.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Bedwetter.

What a real contractor would do would be to rent a couple of prostitutes, set fire to the building, vote Tory 10 times, kick a beggar, drinka bottle of whisky and bill them £1000 a day.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Rescue the project.

If you're not up to the job then step aside.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
        What a real contractor would do would be to rent a couple of prostitutes, set fire to the building, vote Tory 10 times, kick a beggar, drinka bottle of whisky and bill them £1000 a day.
        Brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Rescue the project.

Is that the BA's job ?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Rescue the project.

with remit from where?
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              The development team are constantly failing to deliver. The project manager is failing to sort it out and has been since I started.

As the BA I have no faith in them whatsoever now, this morning was the final straw. The developers have raised an issue with inherited code (code that they inherited back in August and have consistently failed to get working). They say it needs a full rewrite. This the day before code freeze

I just feel like I tell the business things are going to be ok, things will pick up, we are working hard to resolve these issues, and get them back on side and then we fail. Again. It's not like we know well in advance either. These things always come out at the last minute.

Grateful for being able to invoice, but really not enjoying this role any more.

Need them to get a decent PM in who can get the development team firing on all cylinders, but while he seems to have used all his 9 lives he still remains.

The most recent revelation I asked him to confirm in an email. Chased him all morning for this email, yet in the end now BOTH his laptops are not working so cannot send emails. Yet his skype status is logged in

I post this expecting the usual flaming, but nothing more, ok? At least this is on topic.
              I think you need to tell the client there are serious, major risks the way the project is going. I certainly would not tell them things will 'be alright' on the day. Who's arse is on the line, yours?

Nah, telling the client what they want to hear is not the way to go if things are as bad as you make them to be.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

As a PM I agree that the responsibility for getting the dev team to do its job and deliver is his.
                As a BA all you can do is advise and provide the facts to arm the PM with suitable ammunition to take to all of the stakeholders to make things happen.

You do sound like you're saddled with a PM that doesn't know his trade.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  with remit from where?
                  Sounds like you want to step up to the plate. Go over the PMs head and straight to his boss. Tell him straight whats going wrong, that the PM has screwed the project up and that you'll get it sorted if they make you PM.

HTH
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

suityou,
                    have you ever considered a career on mumsnet? They could always make use of another whining nancy with inadequacy issues.
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X