• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Root of all Evil - Ch4

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root of all Evil - Ch4

Root of all Evil - Ch4

Anyone see this programme last night ?

An Oxford professor's persuasive study in which he concludes the world would be so much better off without religion.
    Good men would continue to do good things while evil people continue to do evil things. But good people would no longer do evil things.
    We all know how much blood has been spilt because of religious conflict throughout history.

His experience in Colorado with one of the Christian Evangelical missions demonstrated how quickly blind faith turns nasty.

Christian fundamentalism is on the rise in USA and it is attacking science as well as non Christians, particularly atheists.

And of course in the middle east fundamentalist Muslims and Judism. All of them suspending their own analytical capabilities; convinced in their own minds that their faith is the true one and all dismissing outright any form of scientific evidence that they are believing in fairy tales.

And all because they cannot cope with the concept of personal oblivion after death.

Continues next week I think where he argues why the Christian God is one of the most vindictive of fictional creations.

I didn't, but I wanted to (Mrs Tex was watching some tulipe or another and we are a one TV household). I did see Robert Winston's programme a couple of weeks ago though. He is a religious man himself (and interviews Dawkins) but even he was dismayed and left wondering if it was really worth it after meeting Christian fundamentalists in the US.

Comment

It is a ridiculous supposition. You could argue that anything is the "root of all evil".

People have countless reasons for doing evil things, their idea of religion being one of many.

Comment

Yes very interesting

The American Evangalists were almost as frightening (they did have nice teeth though) as the Islamic fundamentalist born as a jew.

Quite a reasonable interpretation IMHO.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
          Root of all Evil - Ch4
          Continues next week I think where he argues why the Christian God is one of the most vindictive of fictional creations.
          George Monbiot argued in his column Better Off Without Him that the "Christian Virtues" are best represented in godless societies.

Comment

Root of all evil - CH4

CH4 - that is my postcode, always thought it was a dodgy are to live.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran
              The American Evangalists were almost as frightening (they did have nice teeth though) as the Islamic fundamentalist born as a jew.

Quite a reasonable interpretation IMHO.
              Out of all the religious groups the catholics came across as fairly benign but a gentle reminder of contreception, Africa and AIDS and a couple of interview with some deranged Irish women soon put right to that.

I agree, both the Christian fundamentalist (with a mouth like a ripped arsehole) and the "full of rage" mad mullah were exceptionally scary.

They really sounded like mentally disturbed people.

Those Christian fundamentalist gatherings\Alpha courses\et al look strikingly similar to one of those ridiculous Amway meetings.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Development of religion

How did religion develop into what it is today?

As far as I understand all religion is based on so called "Earth Worship", pretty much like the beliefs still held by Aboriginals,American Indians and African Bushmen.

The way I understand it "Gods" where created by generations of personification of the various natural elements eg thunder,fire, the sea etc

What I dont understand (As I is not a skoh lah) is, if you accept my defination of the origins of religion, is where it changed , especially where and why religion metomorphasized into the most common theistical construct of an single deity.

If anyone who knows would care to enlighten me, I would appreciate it. Please be as verbose and condescending as possible.
                There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

I only caught a bit of it, but it was the bit which showed the New York born Jewish guy who is now a fully fledged Muslim. Had to turn it over before my foot went through the screen. The bigotry and hatred from this bloke was somewhat disturbing.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
                    How did religion develop into what it is today?

As far as I understand all religion is based on so called "Earth Worship", pretty much like the beliefs still held by Aboriginals,American Indians and African Bushmen.

The way I understand it "Gods" where created by generations of personification of the various natural elements eg thunder,fire, the sea etc

What I dont understand (As I is not a skoh lah) is, if you accept my defination of the origins of religion, is where it changed , especially where and why religion metomorphasized into the most common theistical construct of an single deity.

If anyone who knows would care to enlighten me, I would appreciate it. Please be as verbose and condescending as possible.
                    The answer is that Human beings is thick, innit?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X