• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

About 20 plane crashes this year , weren't there ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even including the most recent (and tragic) crash the total worldwide death toll from plane crashes so far this year is about the same as 6 days on the roads in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Yep, he lost it when he tried to string sentences together...
      Is that why the other guy completely missed all points ?

Comment

Originally posted by gooddayall View Post
        Actually I think we all got the point. You are talking out of your backside.

I know, let's ban flying because it is so dangerous. But shall we do that before, or after, we ban driving and crossing the road for the same reason?
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by gooddayall View Post
          Even worse troll 0/10.

Comment

It seems to me a plane is inherently dangerous. If you're up in the air in a plane, you're not in a safe situation. You need the plane to keep working, the wings to stay attached, the engines to keep firing, the pilot to stay sober ,the ground crew to have put in enough fuel to reach an airport, etc. All these things have to happen to keep you alive.

The reason it's so statistically safe is because of the enormous amount of effort that goes into making sure all those things do happen. But they still fail, from time to time, and that usually means certain death.

A moving car is also inherently dangerous, but not nearly to the same degree. If your S2000 engine blows up (as has happened to me), you coast to a halt and you're fine. It's a PITA, and you get home late on an AA truck, but that's rather different than plummeting from 30,000 feet to certain death.

So it really comes down to whether you believe in statistics. Clearly most people don't, because otherwise nobody would be stupid enough to play the lottery.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              If your S2000 engine blows up (as has happened to me)

How on earth did you blow up an S2000 - I thought their V-Tech engines were bomb proof. We are talking Honda here?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                It seems to me a plane is inherently dangerous. If you're up in the air in a plane, you're not in a safe situation. You need the plane to keep working, the wings to stay attached, the engines to keep firing, the pilot to stay sober ,the ground crew to have put in enough fuel to reach an airport, etc. All these things have to happen to keep you alive.

The reason it's so statistically safe is because of the enormous amount of effort that goes into making sure all those things do happen. But they still fail, from time to time, and that usually means certain death.

A moving car is also inherently dangerous, but not nearly to the same degree. If your S2000 engine blows up (as has happened to me), you coast to a halt and you're fine. It's a PITA, and you get home late on an AA truck, but that's rather different than plummeting from 30,000 feet to certain death.

So it really comes down to whether you believe in statistics. Clearly most people don't, because otherwise nobody would be stupid enough to play the lottery.
                All of this is fair comment, however there are risks in coasting to a halt in car, depending when/where it happens - as cars become more reliable people don't expect failures and so can react badly - you may be fine but the 44 tonne truck from the Czech Republic sitting a metre from your bumper may not even see you.

Similarly, not all plane failures are catastrophic - think of the Air Transat case for example.

Comment

As well as the obvious but remote danger of plummeting 30K feet in a plane, it well-known that people worry more about risks of things outside their control.

So even if driving down the motorway is statistically far more risky than cruising over the Atlantic, or taking off and landing, people feel more in control at the wheel and thus (*) underestimate the risk.

(*) I daren't say "therefore", or threaded will be on my case. Must look up thus v therefore
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

These statistics are preposterous. Most of these accidents are related to small planes where there is no security procedure at all or did not involve any fatality.

In reality there were only 2 serious accidents for commercial flights. And if you think about the number of flights happened this year yes, it's probably more likely that your house will collapse while you are sitting on a sofa.
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post

How on earth did you blow up an S2000 - I thought their V-Tech engines were bomb proof. We are talking Honda here?
                      A lot of people think that. I know quite a few people via the owners club that are on the second engine (including two who bought brand new 09 cars last year and had the engines fail after 2 months). Don't believe statistics!
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X