• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor lifestyle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True story this.

My first ever IT job was working cash in hand for a little graphics bureau off of Charlotte Street.

Anyway, don't know if you remember but sims cost a lot of money back in the late 90s and offices were getting targeted by crims who would break in and steal the sims. And that's what happened to this company - memory was taken from all the high end macs they were running and the tower running NT 3.51 that I was using to do my job.

So they asked me if I'd work there on my own at night and bunged me an extra £30 on top of the £80 pd they were already giving me. Rationale being that having the place occupied with the lights on would deter any would be thieves. That and the burly South African security guard they hired.

Anyway it was murder as I was couch surfing in Clapham with a bunch of people maintaining normal working hours who also liked a bit of a party. Put it this way, 2 weeks later I was back on £80 pd

Comment

Originally posted by Excursion UK View Post
      My first ever IT job was working cash in hand for a little graphics bureau off of Charlotte Street.
      Inneresting.

Originally posted by The Castle Cary Fairy View Post
      Yes, I used to work round the corner from the production company that did HIGNFY and other programmes so often used to see Angus Deayton and Ian Hislop as I breezed along Charlotte Street.

Comment

Comment

Working...
        X