• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just been pulled for speeding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony - were the police uniformed and wearing hats?

Comment

The coppers were wearing uniforms - there were 2 one with a jacket on and the driver without. Neither wore their hats. The car was a Vauxall of some description - I think it was and Omega. I can't say anymore than that as it was dark where they stopped me.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
        Neither wore their hats.
        AFAIK if a policeman has no hat then he has no powers of a policeman - he can't caution you or issue ticket. In effect (I believe) they had no more right to give you ticket as I do.

Have they given you caution, ie anything you say can be used against you?

In principle its a fair cop thing, best to take points (3?) and fine.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          AFAIK if a policeman has no hat then he has no powers of a policeman - he can't caution you or issue ticket. In effect (I believe) they had no more right to give you ticket as I do.

Have they given you caution, ie anything you say can be used against you?

In principle its a fair cop thing, best to take points (3?) and fine.
          A bit like Samson then? Steal his cap and he's impotent. Worth remembering.

"'Ello ello ello, oooh where's me 'at gorn, damn, now what comes after 'ello, damn, I'm sure I knew."

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
            A bit like Samson then? Steal his cap and he's impotent. Worth remembering.
            I am pretty sure there are legal precedents where policeman without hat on was ruled by court as not acting as policeman at the time, and thus all done at the time (ie caution, issue penalty) is not legal.

Comment

I recon getting pulled for speeding by a plain clothes cop car is also evidence of driving without due care and attention, and should be treated as severely.

Yet, they only give speeding tickets, so I would suggest you have got off lightly.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

That could be a bit hard to prove as there were only 3 of us there i.e. me and 2 coppers.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

threaded - cops were uniformed (as they should), plus they did not charge with dangerous driving as speed was below 100 mph.

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
                  That could be a bit hard to prove as there were only 3 of us there i.e. me and 2 coppers.
                  Indeed, but it would be good to see if coppers dare to lie in court... they also may have CCTV camera in front of their car showing you and one copper talking - images from that camera may be used as evidence.

Comment

Working...
                  X