• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why the forum is so quiet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the forum is so quiet

Some theories:
    • The average age of a CUK poster is mid 40s, so they are unable to cope with big changes such as the forum changing colour. They prefer text only and large fonts but especially dislike change.
    • Herd-like decision making.
    • They haven't figured out how to get rid of the football animation and it is doing their head in.
    • All the people they love to hate have been banned. This would never have happened under cyberman.
    • Some still use IE6

Or
    • Irked by the idiotic layout where the content is relegated to the bottom of the page with the danger of disappearing completely, they have left before they get thrown out.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Some theories:
      • The average age of a CUK poster is mid 40s, so they are unable to cope with big changes such as the forum changing colour. They prefer text only and large fonts but especially dislike change.
      • They haven't figured out how to get rid of the football animation and it is doing their head in.
      • All the people they love to hate have been banned. This would never have happened under cyberman.
      • Some still use IE6
      Client Co still uses IE6

The rest is just me.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by hairyarsedbloke View Post
        or
        • unable to cope with change and too egotistical to live with nobody listening to their tantrums, they have left before they get thrown out.
        ftfy
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Some theories:
          • Some still use IE6
          Well the question is, do you want a quiet forum with contracted related bits & pieces or a busy forum with contracted bits & pieces, look at me posts, whats in the news posts, what I had for lunch posts, a few trolls, flame wars and an all round bit of banter with face & heel posters?

If you keep beating the posters who like to have a bit of banter, ban the trolls who only come out at night, move all threads that could get up a head of speed to LR, send PM's, infractions about language, then eventually you'll end up with a board with only a few staid posters, moderators answering all the questions and talking among themselves and posters so bored they will attempt to get the last post on every forum at 2.28am in the morning!!!!

But that would never happen would it?
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            Or
            • Irked by the idiotic layout where the content is relegated to the bottom of the page with the danger of disappearing completely, they have left before they get thrown out.
            Is the forum no better for you HAB? Uploaded a lot of IE fixes over the weekend so should be a lot better in terms of scrolling. I know there is still a problem with spacing within posts but that will be fixed shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
              Is the forum no better for you HAB? Uploaded a lot of IE fixes over the weekend so should be a lot better in terms of scrolling. I know there is still a problem with spacing within posts but that will be fixed shortly.
              Just logged in from clientco and it's looking much better on IE6, still some banner issues at the bottom but usable.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                <mode type="serious">
                I never saw anything about beta testing (not saying that there wasn't invitation, just that I never spotted them), otherwise I would have chirp-up earlier.

I think that there is a major design flaw here. Sometime ago I looked into web business models and CUK falls into the user generated content types. It is that user base that repeatedly and frequently adding content that is sold as an audience to advertisers. The key is the 'repeated and frequent' bit. It has to be an environment that will encourage that. Partly that is the management of content, but a major part is the ability to access and contribute. The current site layout runs contra to that.

I am not the bloke to do web design, but I would start by remembering the thing about reading from the top left and all that. At the moment, content starts half way down the page, get it as close to the top as it can be managed.

Another thing is the key-hole that I am typing this into. It's got about a dozen lines with a blank space twice it's size below. What is that all about?

As I said in other posts, I feel 'pushed out'. I might be an old git, but this is not resistance to change. I think that the the layout is a major design flaw that has the real danger of being fatal.

</mode>
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  Or
                  WHS

The forum MUST be rolled back to previous version - sorry, it may have been good effort, but it totally missed the bloody point. Well, unless the point was to put me off posting on here

Comment

The site would work much better of the view thread page was one column with no banner butttons on the top. Well I think anyway, make it just content.

Comment

Working...
                    X