Contract Staying Away: Hotel Tips Contract Staying Away: Hotel Tips - Page 11
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 110 of 263
  1. #101

    Contractor Among Contractors

    unixman 's job has never been outsourced

    unixman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,508

    Default

    Not stayed in Basingstoke. Go for a reasonable hotel, say Premier Inn standard. The better the accommodation the less stressed you will be. PI is good standard and they usually have a well populated bar/restaurant where you can make friends or at least acquaintances. Pretty waitresses too. Travelodge is borderline and just becomes stressful over time.

    Renting would be great but I never managed it for one reason or another.

    Gym in the evening is a winner. Followed by food shopping or restaurant meal, surfing the hotel wi-fi, reading in the bar, TV. One place I was at ran a good 5-a-side. Drinking with contractors is preferable to all the above, obviously.

  2. #102

    More time posting than coding

    rob s is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    204

    Default

    I vary between renting a flat (6month+ gigs), renting a room in a shared house (spareroom.co.uk), finding a nice quiet B&B (bedandbreakfasts.co.uk or airbnb.co.uk) or going for a decent citycentre hotel.

    If I'm new to a city, then I'll go with the city centre option for 2-3 weeks as I'd rather be right in the middle of the action (which may not be desirable for basingstoke) and then go for longer term option nearer to where I'm working (so I can sleep in later).

    If it's a complete hole, and client has parking, then I'll take a B&B in a nearby nice village / countryside or above a pub.

    In dead/winter season, I've had 70-80% discounted block rates at country hotel/spa places as their weekday occupancy can be shocking. Useful to book a week first, then have a chat with the manager.

  3. #103

    Fingers like lightning

    yasockie is good enough for Jehovah!


    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    634

    Default

    What would you guys recommend for 3 month contract in central London (City of Westminster, WC1).
    I'm thinking of finding a room or a flatshare via gumtree, airbnb etc rather than a hotel but staying somewhere very central so I can walk or cycle to work and bugger off for the weekends?

  4. #104

    Godlike

    alreadypacked has more data than eek

    alreadypacked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Off-shore
    Posts
    5,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yasockie View Post
    What would you guys recommend for 3 month contract in central London (City of Westminster, WC1).
    I'm thinking of finding a room or a flatshare via gumtree, airbnb etc rather than a hotel but staying somewhere very central so I can walk or cycle to work and bugger off for the weekends?
    When I work in the city I stay in Docklands, the catch the Thames Clipper to work.

    P.S. virgin active, canary wharf. your very own spa on your doorstep.
    Last edited by alreadypacked; 22nd February 2013 at 18:17.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

  5. #105

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak is always on top

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    20,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alreadypacked View Post
    When I work in the city I stay in Docklands, the catch the Thames Clipper to work.

    P.S. virgin active, canary wharf. your very own spa on your doorstep.
    I've not stayed East, I normally get digs opposite St Pancras and walk to work.

    I might try that if I have the misfortune to take another London Contract.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

  6. #106

    Super poster

    Lockhouse is NOT a disguised employee

    Lockhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The 1950's
    Posts
    4,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    I've not stayed East, I normal get digs opposite St Pancras and walk to work.

    I might try that if I have the misfortune to take another London Contract.
    East London is pants (and I was born there). Stick to St Pancras. I rented in Canary Wharf and it's rubbish in the evenings.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

  7. #107

    System Manager

    Sysman is a permanent contractor

    Sysman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rob s View Post
    I vary between renting a flat (6month+ gigs), renting a room in a shared house (spareroom.co.uk), finding a nice quiet B&B (bedandbreakfasts.co.uk or airbnb.co.uk) or going for a decent citycentre hotel.

    If I'm new to a city, then I'll go with the city centre option for 2-3 weeks as I'd rather be right in the middle of the action (which may not be desirable for basingstoke) and then go for longer term option nearer to where I'm working (so I can sleep in later).

    If it's a complete hole, and client has parking, then I'll take a B&B in a nearby nice village / countryside or above a pub.
    I'll start out in a city then look for the nice village / countryside spot.

    Quote Originally Posted by rob s View Post
    In dead/winter season, I've had 70-80% discounted block rates at country hotel/spa places as their weekday occupancy can be shocking. Useful to book a week first, then have a chat with the manager.
    I have done some excellent deals there, the best of which was a country pub which had empty rooms for the winter months. It was only an hour from home but it was a hard drive. Once I subtracted the fuel money I was saving I was only really paying for breakfast. The company in the evenings was good too.

    Another good one was a cheap winter let of a holiday cottage. Very reasonable rent as the owners just wanted the place keeping warm. The furniture was only average so I imported my own telly, video and hifi.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

  8. #108

    Batty

    norrahe - scorchio!

    norrahe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sticks and the City
    Posts
    27,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    I've not stayed East, I normal get digs opposite St Pancras and walk to work.

    I might try that if I have the misfortune to take another London Contract.
    Try Aldgate, and do not go any further east than that. There are a lot of new builds there, and some nice flats. No matter how trendy they say Shoreditch or brick lane is, do not even think about there as its mostly council estates.

    Docklands is ok, if you've got a gig there, but it is expensive and you need to ensure you're not near a tulipty area.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

    Norrahe's blog

  9. #109

    More fingers than teeth

    OwlHoot - scorchio!

    OwlHoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yasockie View Post
    What would you guys recommend for 3 month contract in central London (City of Westminster, WC1).
    I'm thinking of finding a room or a flatshare via gumtree, airbnb etc rather than a hotel but staying somewhere very central so I can walk or cycle to work and bugger off for the weekends?
    Working in towards central London, try any of Camden Town, Mornington Crescent, Bloomsbury, or Soho. Or from other directions, Pimlico or Elephant & Castle.

    Shouldn't be hard to find a spare room in one of those places, although the first few may be harder due to all the students at Imperial College.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

  10. #110

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer is a fount of knowledge

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yasockie View Post
    What would you guys recommend for 3 month contract in central London (City of Westminster, WC1).
    I'm thinking of finding a room or a flatshare via gumtree, airbnb etc rather than a hotel but staying somewhere very central so I can walk or cycle to work and bugger off for the weekends?
    I did a house share near Canada Water - near enough for a long walk home after work in Westminster in the summer, straight in by jubilee line otherwise.

    The 21 year old Australian model / gym instructor who lived there was just another bonus of the location.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •