• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Staying Away: Hotel Tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not stayed in Basingstoke. Go for a reasonable hotel, say Premier Inn standard. The better the accommodation the less stressed you will be. PI is good standard and they usually have a well populated bar/restaurant where you can make friends or at least acquaintances. Pretty waitresses too. Travelodge is borderline and just becomes stressful over time.

Renting would be great but I never managed it for one reason or another.

Gym in the evening is a winner. Followed by food shopping or restaurant meal, surfing the hotel wi-fi, reading in the bar, TV. One place I was at ran a good 5-a-side. Drinking with contractors is preferable to all the above, obviously.

Comment

I vary between renting a flat (6month+ gigs), renting a room in a shared house (spareroom.co.uk), finding a nice quiet B&B (bedandbreakfasts.co.uk or airbnb.co.uk) or going for a decent citycentre hotel.

If I'm new to a city, then I'll go with the city centre option for 2-3 weeks as I'd rather be right in the middle of the action (which may not be desirable for basingstoke) and then go for longer term option nearer to where I'm working (so I can sleep in later).

If it's a complete hole, and client has parking, then I'll take a B&B in a nearby nice village / countryside or above a pub.

In dead/winter season, I've had 70-80% discounted block rates at country hotel/spa places as their weekday occupancy can be shocking. Useful to book a week first, then have a chat with the manager.

Comment

What would you guys recommend for 3 month contract in central London (City of Westminster, WC1).
        I'm thinking of finding a room or a flatshare via gumtree, airbnb etc rather than a hotel but staying somewhere very central so I can walk or cycle to work and bugger off for the weekends?

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
          What would you guys recommend for 3 month contract in central London (City of Westminster, WC1).
          I'm thinking of finding a room or a flatshare via gumtree, airbnb etc rather than a hotel but staying somewhere very central so I can walk or cycle to work and bugger off for the weekends?
          When I work in the city I stay in Docklands, the catch the Thames Clipper to work.

P.S. virgin active, canary wharf. your very own spa on your doorstep.
          Last edited by alreadypacked; 22 February 2013, 18:17.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
            When I work in the city I stay in Docklands, the catch the Thames Clipper to work.

P.S. virgin active, canary wharf. your very own spa on your doorstep.
            I've not stayed East, I normally get digs opposite St Pancras and walk to work.

I might try that if I have the misfortune to take another London Contract.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              I've not stayed East, I normal get digs opposite St Pancras and walk to work.

East London is pants (and I was born there). Stick to St Pancras. I rented in Canary Wharf and it's rubbish in the evenings.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by rob s View Post
                I vary between renting a flat (6month+ gigs), renting a room in a shared house (spareroom.co.uk), finding a nice quiet B&B (bedandbreakfasts.co.uk or airbnb.co.uk) or going for a decent citycentre hotel.

If I'm new to a city, then I'll go with the city centre option for 2-3 weeks as I'd rather be right in the middle of the action (which may not be desirable for basingstoke) and then go for longer term option nearer to where I'm working (so I can sleep in later).

If it's a complete hole, and client has parking, then I'll take a B&B in a nearby nice village / countryside or above a pub.
                I'll start out in a city then look for the nice village / countryside spot.

Originally posted by rob s View Post
                In dead/winter season, I've had 70-80% discounted block rates at country hotel/spa places as their weekday occupancy can be shocking. Useful to book a week first, then have a chat with the manager.
                I have done some excellent deals there, the best of which was a country pub which had empty rooms for the winter months. It was only an hour from home but it was a hard drive. Once I subtracted the fuel money I was saving I was only really paying for breakfast. The company in the evenings was good too.

Another good one was a cheap winter let of a holiday cottage. Very reasonable rent as the owners just wanted the place keeping warm. The furniture was only average so I imported my own telly, video and hifi.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  I've not stayed East, I normal get digs opposite St Pancras and walk to work.

Try Aldgate, and do not go any further east than that. There are a lot of new builds there, and some nice flats. No matter how trendy they say Shoreditch or brick lane is, do not even think about there as its mostly council estates.

Docklands is ok, if you've got a gig there, but it is expensive and you need to ensure you're not near a tulipty area.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working in towards central London, try any of Camden Town, Mornington Crescent, Bloomsbury, or Soho. Or from other directions, Pimlico or Elephant & Castle.

Shouldn't be hard to find a spare room in one of those places, although the first few may be harder due to all the students at Imperial College.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I did a house share near Canada Water - near enough for a long walk home after work in Westminster in the summer, straight in by jubilee line otherwise.

The 21 year old Australian model / gym instructor who lived there was just another bonus of the location.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X