• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Staying Away: Hotel Tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    So, it looks like I'll be staying away Monday to Friday (or possibly Sunday to Friday due to travel times ) up in Edinburgh.

I've had a look through Spareroom to scope out for the longer term, but does anyone know of decent (yet cheap) B&Bs for the first week or two? As close to the city centre as possible - I'll be working near Edinburgh Castle, with no transport besides my two feet / public transport.
    I worked in Edinburgh for 18 months. Stayed at the Holiday Inn at Corstorphine, having secured a fixed price of £50 a night (£55 with breakfast). This was also inclusive of the loyalty program too, so every 3 months, we had a week free in Le Touquet. You have to speak to the sales department of the hotel, sign a guarantee you'll stay min 50 nights, and you can do a deal. You can walk into the city, but the Airport bus stops outside the hotel and it's a £3 day ticket iirc. Hotel very good, gym well equiped with nice swimming/spa/sauna set up. Chinese/Indian restaurant with the hotel, nice bar.

Gatwick flights used to be 7am getting you in for 8.30 -> 9am to the city and were reasonably priced. When (if) the trams starts, it will be quicker imo.

Top city, enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      I worked in Edinburgh for 18 months. Stayed at the Holiday Inn at Corstorphine, having secured a fixed price of £50 a night (£55 with breakfast). This was also inclusive of the loyalty program too, so every 3 months, we had a week free in Le Touquet. You have to speak to the sales department of the hotel, sign a guarantee you'll stay min 50 nights, and you can do a deal. You can walk into the city, but the Airport bus stops outside the hotel and it's a £3 day ticket iirc. Hotel very good, gym well equiped with nice swimming/spa/sauna set up. Chinese/Indian restaurant with the hotel, nice bar.

Gatwick flights used to be 7am getting you in for 8.30 -> 9am to the city and were reasonably priced. When (if) the trams starts, it will be quicker imo.

Top city, enjoy.
      I'm sure they welcomed you with your conciliatory approach!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post

Top city, enjoy.
        Ah well. I spent 1 week in the Travelodge (Haymarket) - awful, avoid it all costs. Noisy, crap WiFi (not good enough for Youtube even), building shakes when a bus goes past, hot water from both taps so I nearly scalded myself, crap tiny TV with a bad signal.
        I then had a week in a new Tune Hotel - tiny room, but clean, quiet, decent WiFi (although they block Steam and online games), decent TV. There's another guy contracting at the same client who's staying there for the whole 6 months he's up here - I think he's paying £25 - £30 per night, which will include all the extras Tune normally charge for (except he might not get a window during festival season - yes, a window costs extra).
        On Monday I move into a room in a shared flat for the duration - it's got a couple of other contractors in there, also travelling up and down each week. At least I can save money on food, don't have to worry about prices / availablility in summer, have a good internet connection, can do my own laundry, etc.

As for flights, at the moment having to fly up on Sunday nights and back down on Friday's. Gatwick is too far away, so I'm doing LHR. At least I have lounge access so I can grab a bite and a few drinks before I fly each way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
          Ah well. I spent 1 week in the Travelodge (Haymarket) - awful, avoid it all costs. Noisy, crap WiFi (not good enough for Youtube even), building shakes when a bus goes past, hot water from both taps so I nearly scalded myself, crap tiny TV with a bad signal.
          I then had a week in a new Tune Hotel - tiny room, but clean, quiet, decent WiFi (although they block Steam and online games), decent TV. There's another guy contracting at the same client who's staying there for the whole 6 months he's up here - I think he's paying £25 - £30 per night, which will include all the extras Tune normally charge for (except he might not get a window during festival season - yes, a window costs extra).
          On Monday I move into a room in a shared flat for the duration - it's got a couple of other contractors in there, also travelling up and down each week. At least I can save money on food, don't have to worry about prices / availablility in summer, have a good internet connection, can do my own laundry, etc.

As for flights, at the moment having to fly up on Sunday nights and back down on Friday's. Gatwick is too far away, so I'm doing LHR. At least I have lounge access so I can grab a bite and a few drinks before I fly each way.
          Have you looked at the train? Kings cross to Edinburgh is about 5 hours and a first class tickets can be had for under £100 each way

Hotel internet is always crap - I've got unlimited internet with 3 including tethering, It's not always the fastest but its still better than any hotel or public wifi I've used
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Have you looked at the train? Kings cross to Edinburgh is about 5 hours and a first class tickets can be had for under £100 each way

Hotel internet is always crap - I've got unlimited internet with 3 including tethering, It's not always the fastest but its still better than any hotel or public wifi I've used
            I fly LHR to EDI, and depending how far in advance I book, my return flights cost between ~£120 to a maximum of about £195. If I got the train back on a Friday I wouldn't get home until Saturday - eff that.

Comment

Budget Hotel nr Euston Station suggestions?

Anyone got any suggestions for a decent budget hotel/B&B near to Euston Station? Will be working in London soon and am planning on staying over one or two nights a week on a regular basis, taken a look and even the likes of Travelodge are asking well over £100 a night, not expecting the Ritz but don't want to end up in a complete hole

Comment

I used to stay opposite St Pancras in the Central Hotel or the Fairway Hotel (Argyle Road)

Fairway Hotel 2* (London) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Very nice and reasonably priced if you do a deal with them (£50 - £70 depending on the season). But you're in the middle of the holiday season and you might have trouble booking anything less than £100pn until October...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  I used to stay opposite St Pancras in the Central Hotel or the Fairway Hotel (Argyle Road)

Very nice and reasonably priced if you do a deal with them (£50 - £70 depending on the season). But you're in the middle of the holiday season and you might have trouble booking anything less than £100pn until October...
                  But the students will be back home so try the university accommodation

UniversityRooms: cheap accommodation in London
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

I've stayed there

Tiny rooms, but who needs a big room when all you do is sleep in it? Excellent cooked breakfast, made to order - none of this buffet nonsense. Surprisingly quiet at night, given the location. Recommended.

Comment

Thanks all, Did look at Tune hotels but they are asking £110 a night, guess its because we are in summer now and the tourists have descended , Good tip re University accommodation Eek, will take a look.

Comment

Working...
                      X