• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Staying Away: Hotel Tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef View Post
    I'd say there are generally 2 modes of thought when choosing hotels:

Option 1) Get yourself somewhere that's comfy with all you're requirements without going over board (i.e wifi, decent room, large bed, hotel bar, room service, lcd tv etc.) because of the following reasons:
    - you're your own boss, why stay in a dump when you're paying the bills/approving expenses
    - staying away is a perfectly valid business expense and so why scrimp and save when effectively the money is only going to goto HMRC anyway if you do
    - if you have to live away then you might as well be happy and have what you require rather than be unhappy, hate working away which will eventually cause further issues

Option 2) Cheap and cheerful is the way forward, save every penny possible, B&B's all the way to maximise profit to enable me to spend the money saved elsewhere, something perfectly functional but with minimal cost i.e B&B with good breakfast, wireless internet is a bonus, somewhere not too far away from a local pub

it generally depends on you're outlook on life and the way you run a business.

Personally, I always book myself into a half decent hotel for 2 weeks to get a feel of where is best to stay/where posisble drinking colleagues are staying/nice areas of town are etc. Plus I find it helps if you stay somewhere nice to begin with as then you look at your new "woring away" location more positively than if you stay in squalor from the start. During this 2 week period I then look for a cheaper option such as a recommended B&B, an Inn with a decent restaurant nearby or more likely renting (ensuring my contract meets my work contract in terms of notice etc.) mainly because I prefer to cook myself a meal a few times a week rather than the lonely meal out with a paper/book etc.

However, it all depends on the location and length of contract. Short term contracts I go with option 1, longer term contracts I aim for a nice/good find version of Option 2. Happiness and quality of life while away is key for me rather than saving money to give it to the tax man. However, I have no wife or kids to worry about.. yet
    This is cock on advice. Sticky pls!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      .. apart from the shocking spelling , Thanks.
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Hook

Stayed here myself while down in Basingrad....

White Hart Hotel, Hook | LateRooms.com

Free wifi, rooms a decent size, restaurant & bar onsite.

Can be a touch noisy come kicking out time, but if you get a room furthest away from the bar its quiet for a good nights sleep. And being 10 minutes out of Basingrad helps, depressing sh!thole that it is......

NB : Plenty of good dogging spots locally, so I'm told....
        Trainee Techno Pikey

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          ok
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            I'd say there are generally 2 modes of thought when choosing hotels:

Option 1) Get yourself somewhere that's comfy with all you're requirements without going over board etc
            whs

In Holland it’s best to use Amsterdam Hotels and find somewhere for the first couple of nights, then take a look around town. I generally stay outside the major cities in a smaller town which is accessible by car or train, seeing as the prices are usually very reasonable. Once I find a small hotel or B&B to my liking I then negotiate a deal with a discount for the length of the contract; many small hotel owners are happy to do a deal if you book for a few months at a time for 3 or 4 nights a week.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Block book as well.. Even Premire Inn's will drop to ridiculous rates if you block book a good amount of time. A few ex colleagues of mine went to one in Newport Pagnall services (I think) block booked and got a terrific deal...

There is always the horror of staying in a Premier Inn for any reasonable amount of time but the theory still stands...

Show them the money and ask for the best price.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Much good advice, I would also suggest mondaytofriday .com too
                Also the holiday inn is doing a 2 for 1 deal at the mo, I've being using it for the last 3 months.

I spend my evenings reading books and getting drunk with fellow contractors
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                  Much good advice, I would also suggest mondaytofriday .com too
                  Also the holiday inn is doing a 2 for 1 deal at the mo, I've being using it for the last 3 months.

I spend my evenings reading books and getting drunk with fellow contractors
                  <tut><tut>

Comment

I know somebody who rents private rooms out to contractors in Basingstoke.

I'd have to contact another contractor to get the details. If interested PM me.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      I know somebody who rents private rooms out to contractors in Basingstoke.

I'd have to contact another contractor to get the details. If interested PM me.
                      By the hour? With or without added services?

Comment

Working...
                      X