• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Staying Away: Hotel Tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can recommend some hotels in Basingstoke:

Red Lion Hotel (B&B)
    Apollo Hotel
    Holiday Inn Basingstoke
    Fernbank Hotel (Bed & Breakfast)
    The Basingstoke Hotel
    The Hampshire Court Hotel - Qhotels
    Central Point Apartments, Basingstoke
    Premier Inn Basingstoke West
    Innkeeper's Lodge Basingstoke

Comment

Personally, I always book myself into a half decent hotel for 2 weeks to get a feel of where is best to stay/where posisble drinking colleagues are staying/nice areas of town are etc. Plus I find it helps if you stay somewhere nice to begin with as then you look at your new "working away" location more positively than if you stay in squalor from the start. During this 2 week period I then look for a cheaper option such as a recommended B&B, an Inn with a decent restaurant nearby or more likely renting (ensuring my contract meets my work contract in terms of notice etc.) mainly because I prefer to cook myself a meal a few times a week rather than the lonely meal out with a paper/book etc.

Comment

Spot the difference:

Originally posted by chef View Post
        Personally, I always book myself into a half decent hotel for 2 weeks to get a feel of where is best to stay/where posisble drinking colleagues are staying/nice areas of town are etc. Plus I find it helps if you stay somewhere nice to begin with as then you look at your new "woring away" location more positively than if you stay in squalor from the start. During this 2 week period I then look for a cheaper option such as a recommended B&B, an Inn with a decent restaurant nearby or more likely renting (ensuring my contract meets my work contract in terms of notice etc.) mainly because I prefer to cook myself a meal a few times a week rather than the lonely meal out with a paper/book etc.
        Originally posted by Katherine View Post
        Personally, I always book myself into a half decent hotel for 2 weeks to get a feel of where is best to stay/where posisble drinking colleagues are staying/nice areas of town are etc. Plus I find it helps if you stay somewhere nice to begin with as then you look at your new "working away" location more positively than if you stay in squalor from the start. During this 2 week period I then look for a cheaper option such as a recommended B&B, an Inn with a decent restaurant nearby or more likely renting (ensuring my contract meets my work contract in terms of notice etc.) mainly because I prefer to cook myself a meal a few times a week rather than the lonely meal out with a paper/book etc.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

AirBnB

Scammed on AirBnB - my fault for not doing due diligence but place was a pigsty. I took pics and cancelled immediately on entering the property. I then opened a case in AirBnb's resolution centre.

It's all gone quiet.

Anyone had any success in getting a refund?

Comment

Personally, I always book myself into a half decent hotel for 2 weeks to get a feel of where is best to stay/where posisble drinking colleagues are staying/nice areas of town are etc. Plus I find it helps if you stay somewhere nice to begin with as then you look at your new "woring away" location more positively than if you stay in squalor from the start. During this 2 week period I then look for a cheaper option such as a recommended B&B, an Inn with a decent restaurant nearby or more likely renting (ensuring my contract meets my work contract in terms of notice etc.) mainly because I prefer to cook myself a meal a few times a week rather than the lonely meal out with a paper/book etc.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Yeh, - me, too

Comment

Originally posted by Man Utd View Post
                Scammed on AirBnB - my fault for not doing due diligence but place was a pigsty. I took pics and cancelled immediately on entering the property. I then opened a case in AirBnb's resolution centre.

It's all gone quiet.

Anyone had any success in getting a refund?
                48 hours on and still nothing other than lies to fob me off.

It seems that AirBnB are enablers of scammers and fraudsters.

Comment

I've never used Air BnB while booking accommodation, generally sticking with Trivago or Booking.com. While Trivago offer more deals, I prefer booking.com's map interface for finding places.

For Manchester to London trains, book on Virgin - trainline charge a quid more and you can't change your seat reservation from the default one, which proves very handy to grab a first class seat on the off-peak, declassified 6:57 northbound on Thursdays and Fridays.

If you haven't got a seat reservation, there's a great app called Euston Platforms, which confirms the train platform a few minutes before the main boards and Virgin lounge at Euston.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    I've never used Air BnB while booking accommodation, generally sticking with Trivago or Booking.com. While Trivago offer more deals, I prefer booking.com's map interface for finding places.

For Manchester to London trains, book on Virgin - trainline charge a quid more and you can't change your seat reservation from the default one, which proves very handy to grab a first class seat on the off-peak, declassified 6:57 northbound on Thursdays and Fridays.

If you haven't got a seat reservation, there's a great app called Euston Platforms, which confirms the train platform a few minutes before the main boards and Virgin lounge at Euston.
                    Book on East Midland, they're usually at least half the price. On trainline, click the link on the bottom that says something like 'see if slower trains are available' you can also access the East Midland trains from their own website. You can get a return for tomorrow from Hartford (where I live in Cheshire so it's comparable, also stops at Crewe) to London for £79. The same (edit: a very similar) ticket on Virgin is £221 (just checked).
                    Last edited by HugeWhale; 21 May 2018, 14:24.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
                      Book on East Midland, they're usually at least half the price. On trainline, click the link on the bottom that says something like 'see if slower trains are available' you can also access the East Midland trains from their own website. You can get a return for tomorrow from Hartford (where I live in Cheshire so it's comparable, also stops at Crewe) to London for £79. The same (edit: a very similar) ticket on Virgin is £221 (just checked).
                      flying can be cheap as well.
                      Usual Leeds/Bradford to Heathrow return is around £130
                      A bit more for Manchester, but I've just found one to City airport, and return from Heathrow for £120.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X